BLDCSHIELDTLE9879 heat management

Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
matshikantokozo
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi, I’m looking to create a controller for an e-bike using the Infineon BLDCSHIELDTLE9879TOBO1 and arduino uno to drive a motor at a max of 28 V and 10 Amps. I am currently running the setup with a 28 V 3 amps power supply, the motor runs, the setup draws all 3 amps from the supply but the BLDCSHIELD heats up in a couple of seconds, in a minute or so the voltage from the supply drops to about 6 volts. What heat management system can I use to be able to run the board at 28V and 10 amps without it overheating? Your help will highly appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hello @matshikantokozo 

Infineon Eval boards and Demoboards like the BLDC Shield TLE9879 are not intended for production use. They are to assist the user during the evaluation stage. For continuous operation, you may design your custom board that can meet the required specifications. 
However, for continuous use of the board for applications requiring 10A output current, one possible way to manage heating is to use an external Fan that will blow towards the MOSFETs thereby helping in reducing the temperature.
I hope this resolves your query.

Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
RupakC

Hello @matshikantokozo 

Infineon Eval boards and Demoboards like the BLDC Shield TLE9879 are not intended for production use. They are to assist the user during the evaluation stage. For continuous operation, you may design your custom board that can meet the required specifications. 
However, for continuous use of the board for applications requiring 10A output current, one possible way to manage heating is to use an external Fan that will blow towards the MOSFETs thereby helping in reducing the temperature.
I hope this resolves your query.

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes

Hi, I only wanna use the board for demonstration purposes for my final year project, so I only need it fully functional for like a week. Regarding using fans, I don’t think it will be enough to cool it especially when I start running it at 10 amps, what I’m looking for is a heat sink I could use to cool it maybe use it with the fans as well , I think that could be a good solution 

0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @matshikantokozo 

The board does not have provision for heat sink to be mounted on the board.
However, you may make a custom board with the same schematic (if you want it for demo only), but keep provisions for heat sinks. 

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes