BLDC motor control with hall sensors

Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ogormanjames905
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Should it be possible to control a BLDC motor (datasheet attached) - which has a rated voltage of 36V - with the TLE9879QXA40 (datasheet attached) motor shield?. The datasheet says that the extended input voltage can be from 28V to 40V. With just an Arduino uno board, the motor shield and the motor, should it be simple to run the motor with the code attached? I am able to run the motor at a desired rpm on the FOC mode however when I change it to the HALL mode, the motor briefly jolts then nothing happens, but the current on the supply seems to rise to a constant value until the motor is programmed to stop. Bear in mind that when I've tried to test it, the input voltage was 12V, should I simply increase the input voltage to 36V?

Also, I'm pretty sure the motor phases U, V and W connect to the shield's phases 1, 2 and 3 respectively. For the Hall sensor connection, should the motors Hall A. B and C connect to the shield's hall 0, 1 and 2?

Apologies if these questions are silly, I am quite new to controlling motors.

Thank you for your time,

James

0 Likes
1 Solution
psb
250 sign-ins 25 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hello @ogormanjames905 ,

It is not at all recommended to give 36V to the BLDC shield. Don't give more than 24V input. 
The motor should be functional at 12V, however, please increase the input voltage to around 20V and see the performance. 

Can you please share the values/screenshots of the settings in the Config Wizard, for running the motor in the hall mode.  This will help us in analyzing further.

Also, what was the input voltage, current, rpm in the foc mode. 

Thanks,
Sai

Best Regards,
Sai

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
psb

Hello @ogormanjames905 , 

The BLDC Shield cannot be used to run a motor having 36V rated voltage. Maximum output voltage that is possible from the shield is around 26-28V. Also, the DC Bus capacitors C17, C33, C25 are rated for 35V only. 

In the extended range of operation, only the TLE9879QXA40 device on the board operates with some limited functionality and the inverter driving the motor doesn't operate. 

The connections to the hall sensors as mentioned are correct. 

Can you please describe the nature and value of current being observed ?
Also, is the motor not rotating at all ?

Which shield software are you using. 

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes

With a supply of 12V, before the software runs the current read is about 0.035A, when I run the code for a set time of 15 seconds, there is a slight jolt from the motor which no noticeable rotation, and the current jumps to 0.150A and remains there for the 15 seconds. Even when I try and add some resistance to the shaft by grabbing and twisting it the current remains at 0.150A. 

Is it worth supplying the board with 36V or should the motor still be somewhat functional at 12V?

I used the software library given in the products information for the motor shield. 

0 Likes
Raj_C
250 solutions authored 500 replies posted 50 likes received

Hi @ogormanjames905,

Adding to the @psb's response, did you program the BLDC Shield board with the 'HALL' example from the BLDC Shield software directory.

To download the Shield software library you can go to the Tools & Software section of the 'BLDC_SHIELD_TLE9879' product page. For further information regarding programming, you can refer to the documentation given in the zip file.

Please, let us know if you need further support.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

psb

Hello @ogormanjames905 ,

It is not at all recommended to give 36V to the BLDC shield. Don't give more than 24V input. 
The motor should be functional at 12V, however, please increase the input voltage to around 20V and see the performance. 

Can you please share the values/screenshots of the settings in the Config Wizard, for running the motor in the hall mode.  This will help us in analyzing further.

Also, what was the input voltage, current, rpm in the foc mode. 

Thanks,
Sai

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by the Config Wizard.

For FOC mode, the input voltage was 12V and the current ranged from 0.150A to 0.3A when testing from a rpm from 100-3000. 

James

0 Likes
psb

ConfigWizard is the GUI in which all the values for the peripherals, motor parameters have been entered. There might be errors either in the values entered in the config wizard or in the setting of hall sensors, which led to this issue. 

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes