many many TLE-5206 ICs

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi.

I am working on a mechanical sculpture that uses a bunch of motors to turn small mirrors back and forth.

Each motor draws at most 0.5A at 12V.

I've been able to build a circuit to drive 36 of these motors, using 36 TLE5206 ICs, each configured exactly like the Application Circuit in Figure 5, page 14 of the datasheet (100uF cap between Vs and GND, close to the driver), and being driven by PWM signals.

It works fine most of the time.
But.... I've fried a couple of the TLE5206 ICs in this test setup, where I end up with a short between Vs and GND, but haven't been able to determine why.

And now I want to build a matrix that has 100 (maybe 200) of these TLE5206 circuits, to drive 100 (maybe 200) motors.

Is there something I need to worry about when I start putting many of these drivers in parallel across the same power supply signals?

They'll each have their own 100uF cap, and no more than 10 of these motors will be turned on at a time (and rarely at full speed).

Thanks in advance !
0 Likes
1 Reply
Not applicable
Also, when using PWM, what's the difference between holding an input pin HIGH while you PWM the other input, versus holding a pin LOW while you PWM the other input?

Basically, the difference between:
IN1 = HIGH
IN2 = PWM

and
IN1 = LOW
IN2 = PWM

(I understand that the PWM values from the controller that correspond to 'stop' and 'full-speed' will be switched between the two cases, but electrically, is one preferred over the other?)

Thanks!
0 Likes