bootstrap capacitor IR2110 and IRF540

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WilliamC
Level 1
Level 1
First like received 5 likes given 5 replies posted

Hi all, I am trying to make a full bridge inverter for this, I am using the IR2110 controller and the Mosfet IRF 540, but I don't know how to calculate the starting capacitor, I have followed a guide to calculate this, but I am in doubt. VLS appears in the formula = Voltage drop across the low side FET (or Load for a high side driver), but I don't know where to look it up in the datasheet or where I can look at this. as well as VMin = Minimum voltage between VB and VS, I would appreciate your help, thank you very much I follow the dt98-2a-Bootstrap Component Selection For Control IC's guide.

The frequency I am using is 25KHz but my question is how do I see or where do I find Vls and Vmin according to that formula in which part of the tab or how, thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
yifei_y
250 replies posted 25 likes received 100 solutions authored

Vmin is VBSUV- in datasheet. For IR2110 you can choose 9.5V.

yiye_4841451_2-1669262606737.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
yifei_y

Thanks to google translation I can understand your question in Spanish.

We have another AN which explains bootstrap circuit calculation with examples:

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Using_Monolithic_Voltage_Gate_Drivers-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId...

Very common range of values for Cboot is between 1 - 10uF for 25kHz switching, you can also choose 2uF or 3uF, every capacitor should work just fine.

Br

YF

Thank you very much I was sure I had written it in English, I have changed it.
I saw your answer, thanks for the information you provided, but by any chance do you know about vls and vmin in the above document, I don't want to be left with that doubt of how to get those values or in which part of data sheet I can find them.
Anyway I will follow the guide you sent me, but if someone knows is open the question, thank you

0 Likes
yifei_y

Vmin is VBSUV- in datasheet. For IR2110 you can choose 9.5V.

yiye_4841451_2-1669262606737.png

dear @yifei_y
thank you very much for your help, thank you very much, thanks to this image I understand where to get the value of vmin and how to interpret it which is the important thing, I would only be missing "VLS" and that's it.

0 Likes
yifei_y

VLS is the max. voltage drop of the low side switch when it is on,  i.e. VCEon in following circuit.

yiye_4841451_0-1669268877209.png

0 Likes