about LLC Startup waveform question

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KUOWENYUNG
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins

Hello Sir,

I have a question about IFX Primary Side MOSFET Selection for LLC Topology application node.

What is the reason for the red circle below? looks the second duty cycle since Cr charge and discharge current none balance induce hard commutation.

LLC start up prblem.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi Kuo,

The reason behind your query is in the app note, here the high side power MOSFET Q1 turns on to instantaneously set the voltage of node A and charges the output capacitance of Q2. During the start of the first cycle when Q1 turns on, a large current flows through the two power MOSFETs to set the voltage at node A.
The red color current waveform that you are seeing in first cycle is not passing through the Mosfet, but from the Q2 capacitance, acting as charging current for the output capacitance of Q2.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 121234.png 

I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have further queries.

Thanks and Regards,
Anshika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
AZIZ_HASSAN
50 likes received 5 likes given 250 sign-ins

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Infineon community.

Before answering the query, can you please confirm the following questions,

1) VDS2 is across Q2 switch and Vds1 is across Q1 switch?

2) Is this the steady state waveform or during every starting instance the current is flowing through both switches. 

3) Can you please share the complete waveform with capacitance and inductance values to analyze the shoot through and oscillations.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes

Hi AZIZ HASSAN, 

Sorry, I was just stud the IFX application note(page.11) and got a question about this wave, hope someone can answer why.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon+-+Application+Note+-+Power+MOSFETs+-+CoolMOS+-+Primary+Side+M...

Thanks!

KUO

0 Likes
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi Kuo,

The reason behind your query is in the app note, here the high side power MOSFET Q1 turns on to instantaneously set the voltage of node A and charges the output capacitance of Q2. During the start of the first cycle when Q1 turns on, a large current flows through the two power MOSFETs to set the voltage at node A.
The red color current waveform that you are seeing in first cycle is not passing through the Mosfet, but from the Q2 capacitance, acting as charging current for the output capacitance of Q2.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 121234.png 

I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have further queries.

Thanks and Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes