Why is the ID of IMW65R027M1H low?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NXTY_Fujioka
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
50 sign-ins 25 replies posted First like received

Hi sir, 
In general, I think that the lower the Rdson of the MOSFET, the greater the current that can flow.
However, when comparing CoolSiC's 650V, TO-247-3 package products, IMW65R027M1H (27mΩ, 47A) has a lower Rdson than MW65R030M1H (30mΩ, 58A), but the ID that can flow is also lower.
Why is this?
NXTY_Fujioka_0-1658985801495.png

Best regards,

Yuki Fujioka

0 Likes
1 Solution
Meghana
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello Fujioka-san,

The continuous current rating of the device depends on two factors

1. Thermal capability of the device, which depends on Pd & Rthjc.

2. Bond wire capability. 

Minimum of the values obtain based on above factors is considered for the device specification.

When we consider only first factor, your understanding is correct. Lower Rdson devices should be capable of driving higher currents. However, in case of IMW65R027M1H, the Id rating is limited by the bond wire capability. Hence you observe this lower value. 

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have further question about this topic. 

Regards

Meghana R

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
SEK
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins First question asked First reply posted

Hi,

thanks for the very valid question! We'll check and come back to you!

Best Regards,

SKampl

0 Likes
Meghana
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello Fujioka-san,

The continuous current rating of the device depends on two factors

1. Thermal capability of the device, which depends on Pd & Rthjc.

2. Bond wire capability. 

Minimum of the values obtain based on above factors is considered for the device specification.

When we consider only first factor, your understanding is correct. Lower Rdson devices should be capable of driving higher currents. However, in case of IMW65R027M1H, the Id rating is limited by the bond wire capability. Hence you observe this lower value. 

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have further question about this topic. 

Regards

Meghana R

0 Likes
NXTY_Fujioka
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
50 sign-ins 25 replies posted First like received

Hi SKampl-san, Meghana-san

Thanks for the reply.

I see that IMW65R027M1H is limited by a bottleneck in the current allowance that can flow through the Bond wire.

My question has been resolved.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Yuki Fujioka

0 Likes