Update on over-current blocking fet based on lambda diode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Inf1
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

A few years ago, I read that Infineon was going to develop an over-current blocking fet.

This was to be a high voltage, high current circuit breaker based on a high current “lambda diode” and a HV cascode depletion mode mosfet.

See for example:

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/market-sectors/power/infineons-current-blocking-fet-2014-07/

Does anyone know if anything came of this or whether it is still in development, or even if now exists by some other name ?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi Derek,

Regarding the article you mentioned in the query, eventually, we didn't follow up on that and this featured product does not exist in our portfolio.
But one approach for an active solution might be using the desat-functionality of a gate driver which is normally used for short circuit detection of a power switch like a power MOSFET or an IGBT. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Anshika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anshika_G

Hello @Inf1 ,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Developer Community.

Regarding your query, allow me some time to find more information about it. In the meantime, can you please tell me for what specific ratings and application are you looking for ?

Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes
Inf1
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi Anshika,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I would be looking for a normal operating voltage of up to 1000V so it would need to withstand a bit more than that. 

The current trip would be around 1A.

Kind regards,

Derek

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hi Derek,
Thanks for your response.

Are you going to use it as a part of an automotive application?
Currently, we have IGBTs  and SiC MOSFETs  that supports voltage rating above 1000 V range. 
Please have a look and let me know if you need any help.

BR,
Anshika

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hi Derek,

Regarding the article you mentioned in the query, eventually, we didn't follow up on that and this featured product does not exist in our portfolio.
But one approach for an active solution might be using the desat-functionality of a gate driver which is normally used for short circuit detection of a power switch like a power MOSFET or an IGBT. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes