Transient current problem with EVAL_3K3W_LLC_HB_CFD7

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ashwani
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hello

Recently I purchased the Evaluation board EVAL_3K3W_LLC_HB_CFD7 it gives the output voltage  between 43.5 volt to 59.5 volt. So when we are connecting the capacitive load at the output of the board it shuts down and shows UVP and OVP in the SMPS GUI. This is because the inrush current that is flowing at the output.

I have connected the inrush current limiter but that is affecting the performance.

I want to turn off the OVP and UVP protection in the Evaluation board by making change in the source code

So please guide me to turn off the OVP and UVP protection in the source code.

Best regards 

Ashwani

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

In that case, you can disable the OVP/UVP by doing the following,

PranavaYN_0-1650541839969.png

You can try commenting out the definitions of UVP_ON() and UVP_OFF() as well as OVP_ON() and OVP_OFF() present in controller.h. You can also comment out the ovp_uvp_ctr() function as even that just handles OVP/UVP.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
ashwani
Level 2
Level 2

Would someone reply on this ?

I don't have any idea how to proceed further.

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

There are no inbuilt macros defined to ENABLE and DISABLE UVP and OVP protection. 

PranavaYN_0-1650272703422.png

You can try commenting out the definitions of UVP_ON() and UVP_OFF() as well as OVP_ON() and OVP_OFF() present in controller.h . However, it is recommended to not disable OVP and UVP protections but use an inrush limiter instead.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
ashwani
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Pranava

If I comment out the ovp_uvp_ctr() in main.c, will it turn off the OVP and UVP protection of the evaluation board.

ashwani_1-1650277772695.png

I know it is not recommended to disable OVP and UVP protections. But the reason why i m turning it off.

Reason:- A BLDC motor is connected at the output of the Evaluation board EVAL_3K3W_LLC_HB_CFD7, So when the bldc motor is rotating EVAL_3K3W_LLC_HB_CFD7 working fine but when we stop the rotation of the bldc motor the Evaluation board EVAL_3K3W_LLC_HB_CFD7 shuts down and goes into UVP/OVP protection.

ashwani_2-1650279290972.png

It is false triggering, if you can give another option to prevent this shut down it'll be helpful.

0 Likes
ashwani
Level 2
Level 2

Any suggestions on this ?

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

May I know the reason for choosing EVAL_3K3W_LLC_HB_CFD7 to drive a BLDC motor?

You can look at our iMotion range of products that are custom made for motor control applications with sophisticated algorithms  - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/motor-control-ics/imotion-integrated/

Using an inrush current limiter is the only way I can think of to overcome this issue. But I recommend you to look in to the iMotion products first.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
ashwani
Level 2
Level 2

Hello 

We are doing long power transmission so to overcome the power loss we are using the  EVAL_3K3W_LLC_HB_CFD7 to drive a BLDC motor.

We have used inrush limiter also but inrush limiter has several disadvantages-

1. Voltage drop in the initial starting of the operation.

2. Frequent operation is not possible because we have to wait it to cool down first.

3. Very high temperature of the shunt limiter.

So these reasons affects the operation 

So only option we have is to turn off the OVP/UVP protection.

So as I previously asked commenting out the ovp_uvp_ctr() in main.c will it turn off the OVP/UVP protection?

ashwani_0-1650437322029.png

Regards 

Ashwani

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

In that case, you can disable the OVP/UVP by doing the following,

PranavaYN_0-1650541839969.png

You can try commenting out the definitions of UVP_ON() and UVP_OFF() as well as OVP_ON() and OVP_OFF() present in controller.h. You can also comment out the ovp_uvp_ctr() function as even that just handles OVP/UVP.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
ashwani
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you Parnava 

One more thing i want to ask about this evaluation board 

Problem :- When we switch on the converter It is giving the output voltage and giving normal operation but when we switch off converter and again switch on then it doesn't turn on.

But after waiting 1 min if we switch it on again then it turn on  what is the reason behind this.

Regards 

Ashwani

0 Likes