Announcements

Live Webinar: Solving the challenges in xEV power conversions | March 7 @9am & 5pm CET. Register now!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ads92
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

I am searching for Infineon SiC MOSFETs with a 1200V blocking voltage and low on-resistance (RDSon). When comparing the "best" discrete MOSFETs (those with the lowest RDSon, for my case) with those in the hybrid pack, I've noticed that the MOSFETs in the hybrid pack seem to achieve a significantly lower RDSon compared to the discrete ones. I have a couple of questions regarding this:

1. Am I understanding this correctly? Is it true that the hybrid pack MOSFETs outperform the discrete MOSFETs in terms of on-resistance within the same voltage class?

2. If I am understanding this correctly, could you please explain why there is such a substantial difference? I'd appreciate a simple explanation to help me understand the underlying reasons.

For example, at the time of this writing, I am finding that the discrete SiC MOSFET with the lowest RDSon is the IMZA120R007M1H (IMZA120R007M1H - Infineon Technologies) with  RDSon = 7 mΩ. Compares this with much-lower RDSon = 2.75 mΩ of the hybrid pack MOSFETs in the FS03MR12A6MA1LB hybrid pack drive module (FS03MR12A6MA1LB | This HybridPACK™ Drive is a very compact six-pack module (1200V/400A) optimized fo...). 

Thanks for considering my question. The answer may be very obvious to you (e.g., perhaps the reason is that they have different packages) but I'm curious. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Akhil_B
250 sign-ins First question asked 50 solutions authored

Dear @ads92 

Good Day!!

Thanks for posting on the Infineon developer community.

As you know the modules are designed to carry the higher currents, to carry such higher currents the chips inside the module will be paralleled. In most of the discretes only single chip will be available.

As the number of chips are paralleled, the resultant Rdson will come down in the module. 

Thanks & Best Regards,

Akhil Kumar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Akhil_B
250 sign-ins First question asked 50 solutions authored

Dear @ads92 

Good Day!!

Thanks for posting on the Infineon developer community.

As you know the modules are designed to carry the higher currents, to carry such higher currents the chips inside the module will be paralleled. In most of the discretes only single chip will be available.

As the number of chips are paralleled, the resultant Rdson will come down in the module. 

Thanks & Best Regards,

Akhil Kumar.

0 Likes