SIMPLIS MOSFET model

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Eleven
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First like received First reply posted

Hi Team,

When I choose BSC090N03LS_L1 already, should I select Model Level to 1 as the below showing?

It seems BSC090N03LS_L1 is model level 1, what is the difference if select Model Level 0 or 1 in the option of simplis?

Thanks very much!

Eleven_0-1640160325954.png

BR

Eleven

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Pablo,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have made some simulations using SIMPLIS, and I want to share with you my findings and understanding.

1. Using Infineon L0 model level, when I choose to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS, the MOSFET behaviors non-linear feature, however no non-linear feature for Model Level 0 or 1.

2.Using Infineon L1 model level, when I choose to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS, the MOSFET behaviors non-linear feature, however no non-linear feature for Model Level 0 or 1.

3.Although behaviors non-linear feature with both Infineon's Level and Infineon's Level 1, There is minor difference from the simulation waveform. And it looks Infineon's Level 1 is more accurate.

My understanding is that:

1.Infineon's Level 1 is more accurate with the real MOSFET. However, I still need to extract to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS software.

2.Infineon's Level 0 is coarser with the real MOSFET. However, Infineon's Level 0 still has non-linear feature when extract to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS software.

If you have concerns, please free let me know.

Thanks very much!

BR

Eleven

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Eleven,

We offer different levels of simulation models with increasing complexity. Please check the following Application note for explanation on each of these levels and parameters included in simulation. - https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-ApplicationNote_PowerMOSFET_SimulationModels-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf...

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello Eleven,

In addition to the App Note that Pranava shared, please refer to the following:
https://www.simplistechnologies.com/documentation/simplis/sp_semi/topics/mosfet_models.htm#Extractin...

It is an explanation of the extractor and the different results you can obtain by selecting different settings.
If you are using a Level 1 model, please select the Level 1 option from the drop-down menu.

If you have further questions about how to use Simplis, you can:
1)Refer to their knowledge base
https://www.simetrix.co.uk/support/kb/
2)Refer to their user manual
http://www.simetrix.co.uk/Files/manuals/8.2/UsersManual.pdf

If you have questions or problems regarding Infineon products, feel free to post on Infineon Community.
We are here to support you.

Bets regards,
Pablo

0 Likes

Hi Pablo,

Thanks very much for your supporting.

These material you sharing is much helpful to me.

It looks there is difference between Infineon's L1 model level and Simplis L1 model level.

In Infineon's L1 model level, the voltage dependency of the capacitances is modeled already. But Simplis L1 model level is not.

Please kindly help confirm my understanding is right or not.

Besides, L1 model level provided by Infineon is already installed, why it still needs to choose model level 1 when extract MOSFET?

Thanks very much!

BR

Eleven

0 Likes
Pablo_EG

Hello Eleven,

Yes, you are right.

It seems that the Level definition of Simplis is different from the standard SPICE MOSFET levels.

You could attempt extracting it with other levels, depending on the requirement of your simulation.
As Level 1 SPICE models have the capacitance dependency (as you very well pointed out) you could even extract it with the Level 2 option.
But please note that the performance of the models is only guaranteed for Simetrix.

Best regards,
Pablo

0 Likes

Hi Pablo,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have made some simulations using SIMPLIS, and I want to share with you my findings and understanding.

1. Using Infineon L0 model level, when I choose to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS, the MOSFET behaviors non-linear feature, however no non-linear feature for Model Level 0 or 1.

2.Using Infineon L1 model level, when I choose to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS, the MOSFET behaviors non-linear feature, however no non-linear feature for Model Level 0 or 1.

3.Although behaviors non-linear feature with both Infineon's Level and Infineon's Level 1, There is minor difference from the simulation waveform. And it looks Infineon's Level 1 is more accurate.

My understanding is that:

1.Infineon's Level 1 is more accurate with the real MOSFET. However, I still need to extract to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS software.

2.Infineon's Level 0 is coarser with the real MOSFET. However, Infineon's Level 0 still has non-linear feature when extract to set Model Level 2 in SIMPLIS software.

If you have concerns, please free let me know.

Thanks very much!

BR

Eleven

Pablo_EG

Hello Eleven,

Thank you very much for sharing your findings.

Our understanding agrees with your findings.
We agree with points 1 and 2 of your understanding.

I personally found your explanation insightful and could learn from it for next time.

Thank you for contributing to the forum!

Let us close this thread if no further assistance is needed.

Best regards,
Pablo

0 Likes