PG-HSOG-8 solder and pcb layout recommendations

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RJJ
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Are there any special solder recommendations for the PG-HSOG-8 package given that the device we are planning to use (IPTG014N10NM5ATMA1) has a current rating of 366A?  Are there any suggestions for board layout as far as copper weight and layers used to handle the current?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @RJJ,

Thaks for posting in Infineon community.

I think you can refer to the following Infineon application brochure:

Recommendations for board assembly of Infineon transistor outline type packages 

General recommendations for board assembly of Infineon packages 

More details about PG-HSOG-8-1 package, please refer to the URL below:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/packages/PG-HSOG/PG-HSOG-8-1/

Regarding the copper foil thickness and PCB traces width, I think there is no standard answer, it depends on your actual operating current, current frequency, routing space, PCB stacks number, substrate material choice, safety standards limitation, cost, etc. Ultimately, you will make a trade-off between these multiple factors.

If you have any concerns, kindly let me know.

Regards,

Neo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Neo_Qin

Hi @RJJ,

Thaks for posting in Infineon community.

I think you can refer to the following Infineon application brochure:

Recommendations for board assembly of Infineon transistor outline type packages 

General recommendations for board assembly of Infineon packages 

More details about PG-HSOG-8-1 package, please refer to the URL below:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/packages/PG-HSOG/PG-HSOG-8-1/

Regarding the copper foil thickness and PCB traces width, I think there is no standard answer, it depends on your actual operating current, current frequency, routing space, PCB stacks number, substrate material choice, safety standards limitation, cost, etc. Ultimately, you will make a trade-off between these multiple factors.

If you have any concerns, kindly let me know.

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes
RJJ
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Thanks for the information.

I had looked at the links you provided.  Because of the high current rating, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any special considerations such as using a high conductive solder.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the tiny pins on this package being able to handle 52A.

As far as the pcb layout, I just thought there might be some example layouts from some of the evaluation boards.

Thanks.

RJJ

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @RJJ ,

Sympathy to you, PCB carrying large currents is not an easy task, as far as I know, there is no universally recognized design specification. In many cases, it depends on existing experience.

Here are some suggestions that I hope can help you:

1)  Ask your PCB supplier for the relationship table about wire diameter-copper foil thickness- temperature rise, there may be some data on the Internet, but the validity cannot be guaranteed.

2) If possible, use the aluminum substrate.

3) Use the customized copper bars as high current conductor, illustrate it below:

Neo_Qin_0-1670579011433.png

4) If only multilayer layers PCB can be used, thermal simulation should be executed, because the current densities of the inner and surface copper foils are not the same, even local overheating may lead to a significant reduction in the reliability of the substrate.

Good luck!

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes