MOSFET Gate Voltage

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User22214
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted
Hello,

I am using IPP076N15N5 optimos 5 in my new design.

The datasheet provides gate voltage curves upto Vgs=10V. Should I use a 12V or 15V gate drive to turn on this MOSFET?

Thanks,
Abhinand D
0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored
Hi,

If the MOSFETs used for paralleling are similar then its not an issue. But if they are not, then various problems occur. Please refer the following link for design considerations during paralleling of MOSFETS,

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/para.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a401535744b4583f79

The design considerations during paralleling of MOSFET are different for each topology and load conditions.

For the gate drive consideration, please refer the below image,

5230.attach

Using individual gate drivers for each MOSFET in the group is usually unnecessary. They may be necessary in applications where fast switching of a large group of large die MOSFETs is needed. Here the MOSFETs should be arranged in smaller sub groups, each sub group driven by an individual gate driver. Care should be taken to balance the circuit
so the propagation delays of all the gate drivers are similar. This matching ensures that the switching of all the MOSFETs in the group is synchronized. Usually it is sufficient to drive the gate of each MOSFET in the group from the same gate driver. However, it is important to have a gate resistor between the gate driver output and the gate of each
MOSFET as mentioned earlier.

For the type of package, Conventionally packaged surface-mounted MOSFETs (DPAK and D2PAK) are the most widely available types so they are considered first for paralleled groups. However, KGD and LFPAK (power SO8) MOSFETs could offer better solutions.

Regards,
Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Abhilash_P
Hi,

Yes, it can be used. Since the maximum gate source voltage for IPP076N15N5 optimos 5 is 20V, a 12V to 15V gate driver circuit can be used.

Regards,
Abhilash P
0 Likes
User22214
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted
Hi Abhilash,

Thanks for your response.

I also have another question. I am paralleling multiple MOSFETs. Should that be a concern if I am selecting Vgs between 12 or 15V?

Thanks
Abhinand D
0 Likes
Abhilash_P
Hi,

If the MOSFETs used for paralleling are similar then its not an issue. But if they are not, then various problems occur. Please refer the following link for design considerations during paralleling of MOSFETS,

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/para.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a401535744b4583f79

The design considerations during paralleling of MOSFET are different for each topology and load conditions.

For the gate drive consideration, please refer the below image,

5230.attach

Using individual gate drivers for each MOSFET in the group is usually unnecessary. They may be necessary in applications where fast switching of a large group of large die MOSFETs is needed. Here the MOSFETs should be arranged in smaller sub groups, each sub group driven by an individual gate driver. Care should be taken to balance the circuit
so the propagation delays of all the gate drivers are similar. This matching ensures that the switching of all the MOSFETs in the group is synchronized. Usually it is sufficient to drive the gate of each MOSFET in the group from the same gate driver. However, it is important to have a gate resistor between the gate driver output and the gate of each
MOSFET as mentioned earlier.

For the type of package, Conventionally packaged surface-mounted MOSFETs (DPAK and D2PAK) are the most widely available types so they are considered first for paralleled groups. However, KGD and LFPAK (power SO8) MOSFETs could offer better solutions.

Regards,
Abhilash P
0 Likes