IRPS5401 won't start / initial bring-up

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User17437
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked
Hey Guys

I have this strange problem with all IRPS5401 on our new PC Board. Even though the devices are configured properly, they won't start-up the output voltage when commanded to do so. I checked all external voltages and inputs to the devices and they seem fine. I even extracted the configuration of a running IRPS5401 on a Xilinx FPGA Eval Board and copied it over to one of my IRPS5401 and it still refuses to ramp up the output voltage.
The copied-over channel even has the very same voltage and current configuration as on the Xilinx eval board and the connections of the IRPS5401 are EXACTLY the same as on the Xilinx eval board as well, so I'm really running out of ideas here and the whole board is dead in the water without the enabling of these power converters =(
Is there some sort of a safety switch that needs to be disabled first before enabling the device for the first time?
Do I need to program the configuration into the MTP or can the device run with a temporary configuration programmed by the PowIRCenter into volatile memory?

I do have other IR-devices on the same board, like IR38060/62/64, which all run fine. Only the IRPS5401 refuses to give in to my commands

Your help is very much appreciated
Fabian

Edit: attached schematic page
5462.attach
0 Likes
1 Solution
ChrisBer
Employee
Employee
Welcome! First reply posted First solution authored
Hi everyone,

I'll try to give some information on bringing up a new IRPS5401 device.

1. MTP Pin
The MTP Pin to select a specific MTP slot is initially not activated. So it doesn't matter what resistor is connected to this pin, the IRPS5401 will always load the latest MTP slot which was programmed.
MTP slots can only be programmed one after another, so it is not possible to leave some slots empty and program only a specific one. If you need the Multi-Config-Function, you would have to create and
save several configuration files, and using these config files you can create a .mic file with the "Multiple Config File Generator" from the PowIRCenter Utilities tab. If you then program this .mic file to the
IRPS5401 device using the "MIC File Programmer" from the PowIRCenter Utilities tab, then the MTP pin will be activated and the MTP slots are programmed according to the data in the .mic file.
But all this is not needed in standard use cases or to initially bring up the device.

2. Initial Programming
The IRPS5401 needs to be programmed at least once to be fully operational.
This means, after you have created the config and written the config to the IRPS5401 device, it is only saved to the RAM of the device. After this, you have to open the "RockyR2 Device Programmer" from
the PowIRCenter Utilities tab. In this Programmer, you click the "Check MTP Left" button, and you will see the available and the already programmed slots. It will look similar to this, but if it is a new device,
all CNFG slots and all User slots will be green which means not programmed:

5208.attach

The CNFG section only contains the information if the Multi-Config-Function is active, so usually you will not change any settings there, but it needs to be programmed at least once.
The User section contains all the settings and you have 26 slots available to save new configs. So if you program the device for the first time, you have to tick both the CNFG and User
checkbox and click on the "Program" button. If you later want to program a changed config, you only need to program the User section. And it is also not necessary to program every
change of the config to the MTP, changes will also work if they are only written to RAM. So you can test changes of the configuration and only program it to MTP once you are sure
everything works as expected. But, of course, after a reset / power cycle, the latest programmed MTP slot will be loaded again.

3.Status Bytes
The status bytes shown above are the normal status when the IRPS5401 is disabled.
"Off" means the switcher is disabled, either by the enable pin, or by PMBus commands.
"None of the above" means that there is at least one bit set in the upper status byte (in this case "Power_Good#")
"Power_Good#" means that the output voltage is not in the range defined for the Power_Good signal.

If you continue to have this status after programming the MTP at least once, the switcher is disabled. If the enable pin is high and the switcher still doesn't work, you have to check the
ON_OFF_CONFIG and the OPERATION PMBus commands.
In the ON_OFF_CONFIG command, you can select if the switcher is always on or if it responds to enable pin only, operation on/off only, or both.
In the OPERATION command, you can turn the switcher off and on and set the output voltage to the programmed "margin voltages" (if activated in ON_OFF_CONFIG).

Best regards,
Christian

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
User17880
Level 1
Level 1
Hi to all,

same problem here!
We have a carrier board for an UltraZED with two IRPS5401 and they won't to ramp up output voltages. We set them with the DESIGN WIZARD of IR PowIRCenter (build 6834) without any success.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Andrea
0 Likes
User17932
Level 1
Level 1
Can you check the status of the output rails in PowIRCenter?
Maybe there are overcurrent faults disabling the outputs?
0 Likes
User18932
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Folks,

I believe I have this problem and I have solved it.

If you have an MTP selection resistor fitted and the selected MTP slot in nonvolatile memory is empty, the part will turn on, respond to I2C commands and hold register values, but will be unable to start any of its switchers regardless of how you set the registers over I2C.

One of the symptoms of this problem is that in STATUS_WORD, NONE OF THE ABOVE, OFF, and POWER_GOOD# will be set, but none of the other fault flags will be set.

To unlock the PMIC for configuration over I2C, either write a valid configuration to the selected MTP slot before attempting to control the PMIC over I2C, or remove the MTP selection resistor. (Note that according to the datasheet, this will make the PMIC I2C addr 0Ah).

Hope this helps. This comes at the end of 2 days of furious headscratching by several engineers over here. This is especially frustrating because the parts arrive blank, and this means that without modifying and un-modifying the board you cannot test the configuration in bringup before writing it to permanent memory.
4020.attach
0 Likes
User19433
Level 1
Level 1
Edwin, how to write a configuration into a selected MTP slot. I think am having the same issue. I have a 10K resistor on the MTP pin for slot 13 but when I write the configuration nothing is valid. How would I force the write to slot 13?
0 Likes
User20016
Level 1
Level 1
Did this fix the problem? I have the same problem...
STATUS_WORD [OFF] [POWER_GOOD#]
0 Likes
User21445
Level 1
Level 1
People, tell me what is the problem of recording a base file (1110.PSF) in a microcircuit via I2C SET?
How not having a PX-DNGL-001 programmer to revive the ligament of the PXE1110 + IR35412 chip
0 Likes
User21785
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Guys, I have the similar issue. The part on the board I got is blank, even I use the POWIR write the same register values, the chip doesn't come up. The resistor on board is set to +5 of MTP, does that mean I have to write the MTP 6 times in order for the chip to load the correct value or I need to change the resistor to +0 or +1?
0 Likes
ChrisBer
Employee
Employee
Welcome! First reply posted First solution authored
Hi everyone,

I'll try to give some information on bringing up a new IRPS5401 device.

1. MTP Pin
The MTP Pin to select a specific MTP slot is initially not activated. So it doesn't matter what resistor is connected to this pin, the IRPS5401 will always load the latest MTP slot which was programmed.
MTP slots can only be programmed one after another, so it is not possible to leave some slots empty and program only a specific one. If you need the Multi-Config-Function, you would have to create and
save several configuration files, and using these config files you can create a .mic file with the "Multiple Config File Generator" from the PowIRCenter Utilities tab. If you then program this .mic file to the
IRPS5401 device using the "MIC File Programmer" from the PowIRCenter Utilities tab, then the MTP pin will be activated and the MTP slots are programmed according to the data in the .mic file.
But all this is not needed in standard use cases or to initially bring up the device.

2. Initial Programming
The IRPS5401 needs to be programmed at least once to be fully operational.
This means, after you have created the config and written the config to the IRPS5401 device, it is only saved to the RAM of the device. After this, you have to open the "RockyR2 Device Programmer" from
the PowIRCenter Utilities tab. In this Programmer, you click the "Check MTP Left" button, and you will see the available and the already programmed slots. It will look similar to this, but if it is a new device,
all CNFG slots and all User slots will be green which means not programmed:

5208.attach

The CNFG section only contains the information if the Multi-Config-Function is active, so usually you will not change any settings there, but it needs to be programmed at least once.
The User section contains all the settings and you have 26 slots available to save new configs. So if you program the device for the first time, you have to tick both the CNFG and User
checkbox and click on the "Program" button. If you later want to program a changed config, you only need to program the User section. And it is also not necessary to program every
change of the config to the MTP, changes will also work if they are only written to RAM. So you can test changes of the configuration and only program it to MTP once you are sure
everything works as expected. But, of course, after a reset / power cycle, the latest programmed MTP slot will be loaded again.

3.Status Bytes
The status bytes shown above are the normal status when the IRPS5401 is disabled.
"Off" means the switcher is disabled, either by the enable pin, or by PMBus commands.
"None of the above" means that there is at least one bit set in the upper status byte (in this case "Power_Good#")
"Power_Good#" means that the output voltage is not in the range defined for the Power_Good signal.

If you continue to have this status after programming the MTP at least once, the switcher is disabled. If the enable pin is high and the switcher still doesn't work, you have to check the
ON_OFF_CONFIG and the OPERATION PMBus commands.
In the ON_OFF_CONFIG command, you can select if the switcher is always on or if it responds to enable pin only, operation on/off only, or both.
In the OPERATION command, you can turn the switcher off and on and set the output voltage to the programmed "margin voltages" (if activated in ON_OFF_CONFIG).

Best regards,
Christian
0 Likes
User22705
Level 1
Level 1
what do we need to do to have outputs from EVAL board DB-295?
0 Likes
User22602
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored
I think am having the same issue. I have a 10K resistor on the MTP pin for slot 13 but when I write the configuration nothing is valid. How would I force the write to slot 13?

Please visit our sites also: water heater ann arbor mi : wedding photography ann arbor mi : appliance repair canton mi : carpet cleaning canton mi : concrete canton mi : handyman canton mi
0 Likes