IPOSIM 2-/3-Level DC/AC converter

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MS84
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First like given

Hi,

In order to compare the power dissipation of different discrete power semiconductors (SiC FETs and IGBTs), I would like to compare them both in a 2-level and in an NPC1 topology.
The problem: some show up in the corresponding topologies, others don't, which is probably related to the given parameters.
My questions on this:
1. is there a list of components available in IPOSIM?
2. is there somehow a possibility that I can use any components available in IPOSIM also in different topologies?
I already tried to activate the "single switches" in the NPC topology, however the desired components did not show up there.
Examples:
- IKW75N65, IKW50N120 and IKZA75N65
- IMZA65R030 and IMBG65R030

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Dipti_Kiran
250 sign-ins 10 likes received 50 replies posted

Hi,

Kindly note, there is certain limitation in IPOSIM simulation tool.

In the IPOSIM simulation tool, power dissipation of the discrete component is only available for below topology:

1. Three Phase – 2 Level (Discrete)
  2. Three Phase – 2 Level (Automotive Discrete)

NPC topology is only for module component not discrete in this simulation tool. In the above-mentioned topology only discrete IGBT components are available and no SiC discrete components are available. So, you can only compare power dissipation of two different discrete IGBT components at the same time.

Further to your query, 

1. Is there a list of components available in IPOSIM?

--->No, list of shown components is only based on topology i.e., list of components shown are                               different for different topology.

2. Is there somehow a possibility that I can use any components available in IPOSIM also in different                   topologies?

--->yes, for a fixed topology, not all the components, but a few components may be commonly                               available in other topology.

Note: Only limited Infineon components are available in IPOSIM simulation tool. Most of the components are of IGBT either discrete or module. Power loss calculation are restricted to only those components that are available in IPOSIM.

I would suggest to manually calculate the power loss and then compare for both IGBT and MOSFETs. Please refer to the attached Pdf file for power loss calculation for IGBT and MOSFETs from their datasheets. 

Regards,

Dipti

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Dipti_Kiran
250 sign-ins 10 likes received 50 replies posted

Hi,

Kindly note, there is certain limitation in IPOSIM simulation tool.

In the IPOSIM simulation tool, power dissipation of the discrete component is only available for below topology:

1. Three Phase – 2 Level (Discrete)
  2. Three Phase – 2 Level (Automotive Discrete)

NPC topology is only for module component not discrete in this simulation tool. In the above-mentioned topology only discrete IGBT components are available and no SiC discrete components are available. So, you can only compare power dissipation of two different discrete IGBT components at the same time.

Further to your query, 

1. Is there a list of components available in IPOSIM?

--->No, list of shown components is only based on topology i.e., list of components shown are                               different for different topology.

2. Is there somehow a possibility that I can use any components available in IPOSIM also in different                   topologies?

--->yes, for a fixed topology, not all the components, but a few components may be commonly                               available in other topology.

Note: Only limited Infineon components are available in IPOSIM simulation tool. Most of the components are of IGBT either discrete or module. Power loss calculation are restricted to only those components that are available in IPOSIM.

I would suggest to manually calculate the power loss and then compare for both IGBT and MOSFETs. Please refer to the attached Pdf file for power loss calculation for IGBT and MOSFETs from their datasheets. 

Regards,

Dipti

Hi Dipti,

thanks a lot for  this information!

I try the said manually calculation.

Regards,

MS

0 Likes