Forward Current through the Body diode of mosfet when its OFF

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
yadavjay
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored 5 sign-ins First like given

Hello

We are using the P channel MOSFET IRLM5103 two switch the 12V for the analog Application. the voltage is switched from Source to drain when the MOSFET is ON.  Also when there is 154V volt at the input (Drain) then there will be 12.5V constant at the output (Source) of the depletion mosfet. due to which the the body diode of the IRLM5103 will be the forward biased and the some of the current will flow to the +12V source. how much current will flow through the body diode when that body diode will forward biased ? what will impact on the +12 Source ?

I have attached the schematic of the application.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello sushank,

Thanks for the reply , i can check that in simulation but i need that reverse current to be calculated in my calculation. for that how should i consider the drop across the diode its not given in the datasheet for the low leakage current.

I have checked the actual result as well there, I got 12.5V as output at source of the depletion MOSFET and the current which is flowing through the body diode of IRLML5103 is of 198uA at 85 deg. but in calculation how can i consider the drop of Body diode ?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
sushank
25 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 50 replies posted

Hi there, 

in the simulation itself you can check the drain current, negative current will be the body diode current. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Hello sushank,

Thanks for the reply , i can check that in simulation but i need that reverse current to be calculated in my calculation. for that how should i consider the drop across the diode its not given in the datasheet for the low leakage current.

I have checked the actual result as well there, I got 12.5V as output at source of the depletion MOSFET and the current which is flowing through the body diode of IRLML5103 is of 198uA at 85 deg. but in calculation how can i consider the drop of Body diode ?

0 Likes
sushank

hi, 

is D2 the body diode you are referring, because you dont need to place separate diode as body diode. 

0 Likes

Hello ,

that i placed for the Understanding or the visibility because in ltspice there is no any body diode shown in the symbol so i added for the understanding its integrated body diode only.

0 Likes
sushank

Unfortunately,  there is no hard and fast rule to calculate and formulate the body diode current. if still you want to formulate the current than you need to prepare equivalent circuit in reverse mode when diode comes in action and apply the KCL. make sure that in formulation time dependency should be there. 

Thanks.

0 Likes