Announcements

Live Webinar: Solving the challenges in xEV power conversions | March 7 @9am & 5pm CET. Register now!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
TRON
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First question asked Welcome!

Hello everyone,

I've been working on an audio project lately and have run into some issues, so I could use your help.

I'm looking for MOSFETs with a voltage tolerance of 100V and a current rating of at least 8A. Initially, I tried parallelizing two IRF520NPBF, but the operation was highly unstable, and temperatures soared, eventually leading to the MOSFETs burning out. Subsequently, I attempted to replace them with IRFP150NPBF, which has a higher current rating and better heat dissipation, but encountered discrepancies in startup voltage and gain between them, resulting in continued instability. Finally, in my search, I found that the parameters of 2SK1058 meet my requirements. It's a negative temperature coefficient type, but unfortunately, 2SK1058 has been discontinued.

So, I'd like to ask if any of you have similar experiences to share. Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Shivam_P
100 replies posted 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Dear @TRON ,

It is suspected that the SOA of the MOSFET is getting violated during the operation, which leads to the failure.

The mentioned TO packages (IRF520, IRFP150), might not be able to meet the requirements due to smaller SOA as compared to the 2SK1058.

In this regard, I'd like to suggest you to use-

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-IPB020N10N5LF-DataSheet-v02_03-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46259d9a4b...

It comes with a wider SOA and is viable for the paralleling operations as well, please check the compatibility and let us know if there are any feedbacks.

Best regards

Shivam

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Shivam_P
100 replies posted 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Dear @TRON ,

It is suspected that the SOA of the MOSFET is getting violated during the operation, which leads to the failure.

The mentioned TO packages (IRF520, IRFP150), might not be able to meet the requirements due to smaller SOA as compared to the 2SK1058.

In this regard, I'd like to suggest you to use-

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-IPB020N10N5LF-DataSheet-v02_03-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46259d9a4b...

It comes with a wider SOA and is viable for the paralleling operations as well, please check the compatibility and let us know if there are any feedbacks.

Best regards

Shivam

vigneshkumar
250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi,

Thanks for the request,

You can try this MOSFET IRFB4020. Key parameters optimized for Class-D audio
amplifier applications.

Please ensure that sufficient cooling is provided.

Regards

Vignesh