Can Infineon's MEMS Microphones be used for Accurate Sound Level Measurement?

Announcements

Measure CO2 When It Matters - Infineon’s XENSIV™ PAS CO2 now comes in SparkFun Red. Check it now!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

What guidance or design examples are recommended for implementing sound level measurement with Infineon's MEMS microphones?

I did find an example for PSoC 6, that implies an Audio CODEC is required to convert microphone sensor data to meaningful information, "CY8CKIT-028-sense Audio Examples for Analog Mic" @ https://community.infineon.com/t5/PSoC-6/CY8CKIT-028-sense-Audio-Examples-for-Analog-Mic/td-p/322152

Would Infineon recommend a PSoC 6, CODEC, Microphone combination for the basis of an Accurate Sound Level Measurement device?

An Accurate Meaurement Solution would likely need some form of calibration. Would calibration need to be dynamic for changing environmental conditions?

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
George_T
50 likes received First question asked 250 replies posted

Hi @GrCa_1363456,

The currently available evaluation boards EVAL AHNB IM69D130V01 and EVAL AHNB ANALOGV01 are using digital and analog microphones respectively. The LED's on the board turn on depending on the sound pressure levels as mentioned in the user manual.

I hope these boards can be used as reference for the suggested application.

Thanks and regards,

George 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
George_T

Hi @GrCa_1363456,

Could you please clarify which type of microphone are you referring to Analog or Digital?

Thanks and regards,

George

0 Likes
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

George,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have not limited my selection to a specific type of microphone. 

Which type of microphone is recommended for the application of sound level measurement?

Would one be more accurate than the other?

I would like to see potential solutions that utilize both analog and digital microphones to understand the tradeoffs. There may be unique ways to associate the analog signal from an analog microphone to specific sound levels possilby by using all analog components. A digital system may require some math coprocessor. My primary goal is to understand the practicality of implementing either analog or digital microphone to accurately measure sound level.

Greg

0 Likes
George_T

Hi @GrCa_1363456,

The currently available evaluation boards EVAL AHNB IM69D130V01 and EVAL AHNB ANALOGV01 are using digital and analog microphones respectively. The LED's on the board turn on depending on the sound pressure levels as mentioned in the user manual.

I hope these boards can be used as reference for the suggested application.

Thanks and regards,

George 

0 Likes