S6ECC-ETH uVision5 debugger support for virtual machine

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I just bought the FM4-176L-S6E2CC-ETH Pioneer Kit and having issues trying to setup an IDE using Keil uVision 5 which I really hope someone could guide me through. The issue is I cannot program/debug it eventhough I have connected to the board and run pre-defined tests via a serial terminal.

Moreover, since this is related to multiple sectors, it is appreciated if you could provide insight with different approaches for this matter, i.e. maybe this is an issue with the IDE, virtual machine limitation, et cetera.

Background:

+ I'm using Windows 7x86 (32-bit) virtualized on a macOS High Sierra.

+ I followed the Jumper Despcription inside the board schematic from Cypress product page

- J4: 1-2 Power form CN2

- J3: 2-3 Flash Programming via USB

- J1, J2: Open

+ The Keil uVision5 setup was tried from 3 sources and neither of them work

- The S6E2CC Kit Quick Start Guide

- The S6E2CC Project Template from Cypress product page

- Laboratory Manual from ARM University Lab-in-a-box package which also using the same kit

Specifically, the connection indicated from Device Manager

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.32.19 PM.png

Also, running tests from a 3rd party serial terminal successfully (for some reason the provided terminal did not work for me, i.e. opened then disappeared, although still running from background and was detected by Task Manager).

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.33.34 PM.png

However, the setting in Options for Target <name> -> Debug -> CMSIS-DAP Debugger <Settings> are all blurred out (cannot select) without any indication of Debug Unit in detected JTAG device chain as well as when I chose Port: SW.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.34.38 PM.png

For more information, this is the Programming Algorithm was chosen and the CMSIS-DAP firmware version of the board.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.34.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.56.40 PM.png

Needless to say I have tried many different approaches and am considering to flash the J-Link firmware into the MB9AF312K, the details are in this question Development Environment Setup - DAP Device Not found. However, before I do that and permanently alter the original firmware, I would like to seek the helps from this communitiy first.

Thank you,

Tin Nguyen

0 Likes
2 Replies
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

Please confirm whether the issue is specific to Virtual Machine setup. Are you able to program and debug the kit using a regular windows machine?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geon,

I have checked on two different regular Windows machines and they both work (program and debug) with the exact setup as used for VM-based Windows, so I am leaning towards the issue lying on Virtual Machine setup.

FYI, I am using Parall*l Deskt*p version 14, I will make sure to migrate this issue to their support forum as soon as I gather more info about what is wrong/missing, although, any supports are appreciated, e.g. workaround for the JTAG connection via a virtual com or maybe another Debugger that is adaptive to VM environment.

0 Likes