MB96F348RSBPMC ROM issue

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
user_61992
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue related to the CODE section when building a project with this micro. I'm using Softune V07L02.

As it can be noticed by the attached MAP file, a lot of free memory should be available (starting from 0x00F8A01C). However, in the overall ROM section usage, almost all sections are reported as "GAP", leading to the following memory consumption:

ROM -- Total(00080000)  Used(0007FFE0)  Remainder(+00000020)

The problem is that when code size gets greater than a sector (64KB), build fails due to memory constraints. I get the same issue with a basic template.

If anyone encountered this issue before or has any suggestion I'd really appreciate it. I've been trying all linker options without any luck so far.

Gian Marco

0 Likes
1 Solution

Sure.

What happened was that I had a misunderstanding with a client. We used a SMALL memory model, but, being his project bigger than mine (and > 64kB), this lead to failure. When I tried modifying my memory model I was mislead by this line:

Assuming nothing changed, I did not tell him to try modify the memory model.

This is my first development with a 16-bit micro so I was not familiar with the concept of memory models; I read a couple of things about it and now it's quite clear why is build failed.

What will keep bothering me is why unused ROM sectors are marked as GAP and added to the overall memory consumption, but I'll just ignore that part from now one.

Gian Marco

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
user_61992
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked

Solved, this thread can be closed.

Gian Marco

0 Likes

Would you like to share your solutions here?

Amy

0 Likes

Sure.

What happened was that I had a misunderstanding with a client. We used a SMALL memory model, but, being his project bigger than mine (and > 64kB), this lead to failure. When I tried modifying my memory model I was mislead by this line:

Assuming nothing changed, I did not tell him to try modify the memory model.

This is my first development with a 16-bit micro so I was not familiar with the concept of memory models; I read a couple of things about it and now it's quite clear why is build failed.

What will keep bothering me is why unused ROM sectors are marked as GAP and added to the overall memory consumption, but I'll just ignore that part from now one.

Gian Marco

0 Likes