FR60 lifecycle ...

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
zzz_3221081
Level 5
Level 5
25 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 10 likes received

I would need some information about the planned lifecycle of the Fujitsu FR60 family, and the Softune toolchain.

I am aware that this (a public forum) is not the place to discuss such things openly.

So, can somebody point me to a place where/whom to ask ?

Thank you !

0 Likes
1 Solution
Roy_Liu
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

I don't think anybody in this community can tell the discontinuation will happen before or after 2025.

My recommendation would be to contact your local Infineon representatives or Infineon sales office to see if you can get support despite the FR60 and toolchains lifecycle status if you have good demands. Probably you may have tried, if no response from there, migrating the design with new microcontrollers may be the only option then.

Roy Liu

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
zzz_3221081
Level 5
Level 5
25 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 10 likes received

The silence is saying me something, too ... 🙄

0 Likes
Roy_Liu

Hi,

FR60 family(in fact, all the prducts listed in the below webpage) and the Softune toolchain are not recommended for new design,  specifically, Sofutune toolchain is EOL.  

https://www.cypress.com/products/other-automotive-mcus

Please consider Traveo/Aurix families if feasible in your new design.

https://www.cypress.com/products/cypress-traveo-ii-32-bit-arm-automotive-microcontrollers-mcus

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/

Roy Liu
0 Likes

Thanks for the answer, but this is exactly my point.

I am (we are) stuck with an inherited project using an MCU of this family, and this toolchain. And there even plans to support the related product for the next 15 years. 

Having a little bit of experience with company acquisitions and the fate of related products, this seems overly optimistic to me. I see a good chance for the FR60 family to be discontinued until 2025. 

Or not ?

At the moment many Fujitsu FX16 and LX16 MCUs are phased out, which concerns us as well.

0 Likes
Roy_Liu

I don't think anybody in this community can tell the discontinuation will happen before or after 2025.

My recommendation would be to contact your local Infineon representatives or Infineon sales office to see if you can get support despite the FR60 and toolchains lifecycle status if you have good demands. Probably you may have tried, if no response from there, migrating the design with new microcontrollers may be the only option then.

Roy Liu
0 Likes

Well, I'm aware of the nature of such a community, and did not expect an answer directly. Rather a suggestion whom to ask. I'm not sure if Infineon even decided yet how to deal with their third-grade heritage in the future.

A Fujitsu/Spansion/Cypress representative I was in contact with seems OOB.

> ...see if you can get support despite the FR60 and toolchains lifecycle status if you have good demands.

"Good demands" is somehow open to interpretation, and I think the numbers would not justify the investments necessary.

> ...migrating the design with new microcontrollers may be the only option then.

I am aware of that.  Knowing our product, I don't really want to be involved in such an endeavor... If one finds himself in a hole, a reasonable action would be to stop digging.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I think I try to find a new representativ contact.

0 Likes
Roy_Liu

I fully understand your situation,  hope you can move on with the best approach for your product.

I will conclude this discussion then, please start a new one if you have anything, good luck to you 😊

Roy Liu
0 Likes