Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ThBi_3905606
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Hello,

I want to use several CY8CMBR3116 in my application

About the PCB design, I use two of your documents, the AN90071 and the AN64846

In the AN64846,

for 2 layer PCB

I can read that the top and the bottom layer PCB have a hatch fill of 7 mil trace and 70 mil spacing, connect to the ground.

But in the AN90071, I can read in table 4-1, page 31, that the top layer have to be 45 mil spacing.

What spacing size I have to use with the CY8CMBR3xxx ?

For 4 layer PCB,

there is no indication on the AN90071.

I can read on the AN 64846,

First layer : sensor and hatch fill 7 mil trace and 70 mil spacing connect to GND

Second layer : only sensor trace

third layer : GND, (without hatch fill)

bottom layer : component, com trace and hatch fill 7 mil trace and 70 mil spacing connect to GND

Am I correct ? in the third layer it is a full GND, without hatch fill ? is there what I need to do with a CY8C MBR3116 ?

Is the 2 layer better for CY8CMBR3116, or there is no different ?

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi thomas.billiou_3905606​,

Please find my answers to your questions in red:

1. In the AN64846, for 2 layer PCB I can read that the top and the bottom layer PCB have a hatch fill of 7 mil trace and 70 mil spacing, connect to the ground.

--> It'd be really helpful if you can point me the page no where you are pointing this out. The recommended hatch pattern is top layer  7 mil width 45 mil spacing. Maybe you're looking at old app note.

2. What spacing size I have to use with the CY8CMBR3xxx ?

--> Please use top layer  7 mil width 45 mil spacing and bottom layer 7 mil width 70 mil spacing.

First layer : sensor and hatch fill 7 mil trace and 70 mil spacing connect to GND

bottom layer : component, com trace and hatch fill 7 mil trace and 70 mil spacing connect to GND

-->Attached is a screen shot from the AN 64846. This is the recommendation for 4 layer PCB

Top layer - sensor + 7 mil width 45 mil spacing to ground

Second layer - Sensor traces only

Third Layer - 7 mil width 70 mil spacing to ground

Forth layer - 7 mil width 70 mil spacing to ground +PSoC + Other components + Non CapSense traces

pastedImage_2.png

I think that you might be referring to any of our old design documents. Please make sure you're referring to our latest and updated design guide. Please use this link below:

https://www.cypress.com/file/41076/download - Doc No: AN 64846 Rev * X

4. Is the 2 layer better for CY8CMBR3116, or there is no different ?

--> It totally depends on no of components in the design, board dimensions and cost. If you're not able to route all the sensors in your 2 layer PCB (space constraint due to the recommendation that capsense lines shouldn't go near communication/ LED lines) , it will be advisable to use 4 layer. Otherwise 2 layer will be enough.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi thomas.billiou_3905606​,

Please find my answers to your questions in red:

1. In the AN64846, for 2 layer PCB I can read that the top and the bottom layer PCB have a hatch fill of 7 mil trace and 70 mil spacing, connect to the ground.

--> It'd be really helpful if you can point me the page no where you are pointing this out. The recommended hatch pattern is top layer  7 mil width 45 mil spacing. Maybe you're looking at old app note.

2. What spacing size I have to use with the CY8CMBR3xxx ?

--> Please use top layer  7 mil width 45 mil spacing and bottom layer 7 mil width 70 mil spacing.

-->Attached is a screen shot from the AN 64846. This is the recommendation for 4 layer PCB

Top layer - sensor + 7 mil width 45 mil spacing to ground

Second layer - Sensor traces only

Third Layer - 7 mil width 70 mil spacing to ground

Forth layer - 7 mil width 70 mil spacing to ground +PSoC + Other components + Non CapSense traces

pastedImage_2.png

I think that you might be referring to any of our old design documents. Please make sure you're referring to our latest and updated design guide. Please use this link below:

https://www.cypress.com/file/41076/download - Doc No: AN 64846 Rev * X

4. Is the 2 layer better for CY8CMBR3116, or there is no different ?

--> It totally depends on no of components in the design, board dimensions and cost. If you're not able to route all the sensors in your 2 layer PCB (space constraint due to the recommendation that capsense lines shouldn't go near communication/ LED lines) , it will be advisable to use 4 layer. Otherwise 2 layer will be enough.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes