TLD5190 as voltage regulator/charger

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
VB
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First like given

Hello
We are currently evaluating TLD5190 for our needs. We need an output of 14.4V (4s LifePo4 charger) and a current of 25A with a current limit of the input current. The input voltage is from 11V to 16V. We would like to use TLD5190QV (voltage regulation) and IPB80N04S4L-04 mosfets.
I would like to know if the mentioned combination is suitable for our application (~350W) and if the TLD5190 is able to drive the mentioned FETs. If not, is it possible to use external mosfet drivers? Maybe a suggestion for more suitable FETs?

...in advance Thanks for the help and opinions!

0 Likes
1 Solution
fausto_borg
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 likes received

Hi,

if you are interest on such power level you can evaluate even the TLD5542-1QV High power evaluation board. https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/tld5542-1hipow_eval/

Gate drivers of TLD5542-1QV and TLD5190QV  have the same characteristics, then you can use the same approach you see in the evaluation board.

Moreover, to reduce the system complexity you can even use TLD5191ES (24 pin instead 48...)

Hope this help.

Regards,

Fausto

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Kanahaiya_K
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi @VB ,

Thanks for posting on the Infineon Developer Community.

It is mentioned in the datasheet that LSGD1,2 Gate Driver peak sourcing current (ILSGD1,2_SRC) and HSGD1,2 Gate Driver peak sourcing current (IHSGD1,2_SRC) are 370 mA and 380 mA respectively.

Please make sure that the gate driver sourcing current in the case of your application  should be well within the  limit as mentioned. If the required Gate driver sourcing current is exceeding the current limit as mentioned then in that case an external MOSFET drivers will be required.

Take a note that  the switching loss will be dependent on the gate transition time,switching frequency.The switching loss will increase with the increase in frequency. So,temperature may rise.

Select a FET having low Qrr value so that losses can be minimised.

Regards,
Kanahaiya

VB
Level 1
Level 1

This is a bit beyond my knowledge of mosfets characteristics. Let's try to calculate a little and please correct me if I'm wrong. Let's assume that the pwm frequency is 200kHz (lowest possible for TLD5190) and we want to switch in 100ns.

f=200kHz --> ton=100ns (turn on time)
Qg (total gate charge) for IPB80N04S4L-04 mosfet is 46nC

Ig=Qg / ton = 46/100 = 0.46A

This already exceeds the specified gate driver values, right?

0 Likes
Kanahaiya_K
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi @VB 

Yes, your understanding is correct !

The gate driver sourcing current in your application is execeeding the limit of TLD5190.
So,You need to use an external MOSFET driver for the same.It is recommended to use two external half bridge drivers for your applications.Please have a look at the Infineon gate driver solution.

Regards,
Kanahaiya

fausto_borg

Hi,

if you are interest on such power level you can evaluate even the TLD5542-1QV High power evaluation board. https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/tld5542-1hipow_eval/

Gate drivers of TLD5542-1QV and TLD5190QV  have the same characteristics, then you can use the same approach you see in the evaluation board.

Moreover, to reduce the system complexity you can even use TLD5191ES (24 pin instead 48...)

Hope this help.

Regards,

Fausto

VB
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all informations! I reviewed all three chips and their functions.
The TLD5190QV and TLD5542-1QV are functionally compatible...except for the SPI connection. Except for a few differences in pin function, they are almost pin to pin compatible. I noticed that SPREAD SPREAD SPECTRUM function on TLD5542-1QV is by default disabled and cannot be enabled in LIMP mode...is this correct? Is there another important difference that I've missed?
I like the TLD5191ES, but we need input current regulation, which unfortunately this chip does not have.

0 Likes
fausto_borg

Hi VB,

right, TLD5190QV and TLD5542-1QV are pretty similar and you well noted the differences.

Fausto

0 Likes