Is it possible to run icl5102 without PFC?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ibrahim_uzer
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First question asked First reply posted

Hi Team;

If i leave the ic PFC pins and BO pins blank, will the icl5102 continue to work normally?

My goal is to make a 36V 10A (360W) LLC topology power supply.(No PFC)

Best Regards.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @ibrahim_uzer ,

I don't think IC5102 can work normally, if you let the PFC pins+ BO pin floated.

According to the chapter 3.2.5 "PFC Protection features" of the datasheet, at least the following protections will be triggered:

1) PFC Bus Under-voltage Protection --> ICL5102 will enter auto-restart.

2) PFC Open Control Loop Protection --> In the IC power up phase, if the PFCVS pin voltage is below this threshold, ICL5102 will not start-up.

3) Input Brown-out Protection --> In the IC power up phase, if the BO pin voltage is below this threshold, ICL5102 will not start-up.

When you add countermeasures to solve these problems, you will find that your efforts will not be less than ensuring the PFC circuit works normally, and the risk will be even greater. After all, in the IC of this combo scheme, PFC and HB stages are not relatively independent.

I understand that you want to choose an appropriate platform to learn the LLC topology. In this case, a separate LLC controller may be more suitable for you.

Infineon Half bridge and LLC controller is recommended:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/ac-dc-power-conversion/ac-dc-pwm-pfc-controller/llc-re...

Regards,

Neo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Neo_Qin

Hi @ibrahim_uzer ,

I'm working on it.

Ignoring the feasibility of doing so, I wonder why you are abandoning the PFC feature, a regulation from the IEC forces the introduction of power factor correction in consumer products at your power level.

Hi @Neo_Qin ;

I know that international standards require a PFC in the power supply. But the power supply I aim to make is not any commercial product. I don't know much about LLC topology, I'm trying to learn. If I can run my power supply without PFC in the first stage, I am aiming to design with PFC in the next stage.

Kind regards.

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @ibrahim_uzer ,

I don't think IC5102 can work normally, if you let the PFC pins+ BO pin floated.

According to the chapter 3.2.5 "PFC Protection features" of the datasheet, at least the following protections will be triggered:

1) PFC Bus Under-voltage Protection --> ICL5102 will enter auto-restart.

2) PFC Open Control Loop Protection --> In the IC power up phase, if the PFCVS pin voltage is below this threshold, ICL5102 will not start-up.

3) Input Brown-out Protection --> In the IC power up phase, if the BO pin voltage is below this threshold, ICL5102 will not start-up.

When you add countermeasures to solve these problems, you will find that your efforts will not be less than ensuring the PFC circuit works normally, and the risk will be even greater. After all, in the IC of this combo scheme, PFC and HB stages are not relatively independent.

I understand that you want to choose an appropriate platform to learn the LLC topology. In this case, a separate LLC controller may be more suitable for you.

Infineon Half bridge and LLC controller is recommended:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/ac-dc-power-conversion/ac-dc-pwm-pfc-controller/llc-re...

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes