Tracking variables of a DAVE™ project in Debug mode - KBA235672
Micrium uC-Probe XMC is used to track the variable values without pausing the debug session.
Do the following to track the variables:
- Download Micrium uC-Probe XMC and install the application.
- In DAVE™ IDE, build and debug the project of your choice. To start the debug session, click Resume icon as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 Starting the debug session
- Open Micrium uC-Probe XMC application. Go to File > New Workspace to create a new workspace as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2 Creating new workspace
- A new workspace is created with a project folder and a Data Screen is automatically added. If not, go to Insert Screens > Data Screen as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3 Inserting data screen into a project
- Select the right family in the ToolBox window as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4 Selecting the XMC device family in Toolbox window
- After selecting the right family, click Settings in the Application group under the File tab as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5 electing the Settings icon
- Select J-Link under Debug Interfaces of the Settings window as shown in Figure 6. Ensure that the settings used are correct.
Figure 6 Configuring debug interface and related settings
- To import the .elf file, click ELF icon from the Symbol Browser window as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7 Selecting the ELF icon
- Navigate to the debug folder of the DAVE™ project and select the elf file [.../<DAVE workspace>/<DAVE project>/Debug/<DAVE project>.elf]. The elf file is displayed as shown in the Figure 8.
Figure 8 Imported ELF file
- In the Toolbox, select a suitable tool to view the live variations of the required variable. For example, select Line Chart under Charts as shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9 Selecting Line Chart
- To add a Line Chart, drag and drop Line Chart onto the Data Screen as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10 Drag and drop Line Chart to DataScreen
- Click the Properties Editor icon to modify the properties of Line Chart. Figure 11 shows various properties which can be modified as required.
Figure 11 Properties editor window for Line Chart
- Now, expand the imported .elf file. Drag and drop the variable to be monitored live onto the Line Chart as shown in Figure 12.
Figure 12 Adding variable to Live Chart
- Once added, the variable will be displayed at the bottom of Line Chart as shown in Figure 13.
Figure 13 Assigned variable displayed in Line Chart
- Click Run in the Application group under the File tab to view the live changes of the variable as shown in Figure 14.
Note : The Debug session in DAVE™ must be active (resumed) before clicking on Run in Micrium uC-Probe XMC.
Figure 14 Live tracking of the variable