Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

QSPI NOR flash: Special considerations for mode bits usage - KBA235169

QSPI NOR flash: Special considerations for mode bits usage - KBA235169

IFX_Publisher2
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
25 likes received 1000 replies posted First like given

Community Translation: QSPI NOR flash: モードビット使用に関する特別な考慮事項 – KBA235169

Version: **

Mode bits allow a series of single/dual/quad I/O SDR/DDR Read commands to eliminate the 8-bit instruction after the first command by sending a complementary mode bit pattern when repeating the same type of read command. This enables continuous read, which dramatically reduces initial access times and improves eXecute in Place (XIP) performance.

Infineon® NOR flash supports the mode bits in some read instructions to enable the continuous read operations. The mode bits patterns vary for different NOR flash families. See the following table for more information.
Table 2      Valid mode bits patterns for continuous read operation in QSPI NOR flash series

Operation name

Instruction

code

Valid mode bits patterns for continuous read operations

S25HL/HS-T

S25FL/FS-S

S25FL-L

SDR Fast Read

0Ch

Axh

Not supported

Not supported

SDR Dual I/O Read

BBh / BCh

Axh

Axh

Axh

SDR Quad I/O Read

EBh /ECh

Axh

Axh

Axh

DDR Quad I/O Read

EDh / EEh

A5h

Upper and lower nibbles are complementary such as 5Ah, F0h

Upper and lower nibbles are complementary such as 5Ah, F0h

Note :       Mode bits are optional control bits that follow the address bits. These bit logical levels are driven by the controller if they are specified.

Figure 1 shows an example of the mode bit position in the Quad I/O SDR Read command sequence transitioning through the SPI signal bus.

BinduPriya_G_0-1652784682648.png

Figure 1     Quad I/O SDR Read command sequence with mode bits 

If the QSPI controller on SoC/MCU does not support mode bits output, the mode bits can be derived from or considered as part of the dummy bits. But if the QSPI controller does not drive the IOs in the dummy phase, we still have the corner case which can trigger the continuous read operation unexpectedly.

Assume that the QSPI controller of your SoC/MCU only toggles the SCK for dummy cycles but keeps the IOs frozen at their previous state after sending out the address in the Quad I/O SDR Read command.

As shown in Figure 2, if the host output address is 0xXXXX_XXXA, then the IOs are in the HIGH impedance state; the last 4-bit 1010b on IO3-0 move on to the next clock phase before changing their logical HIGH or LOW state; the NOR flash samples the residual 1010b as “Axh”. This is considered as a hit for the valid mode bits pattern and suddenly enters the continuous read mode unexpectedly. If the controller sends the following read transactions and still contains the 8-bit instruction, it causes read or boot issues.

BinduPriya_G_1-1652784779802.png

Figure 2    Corner case to trigger continuous read in Quad I/O SDR Read command sequence

Do the following to avoid the corner case, if your QSPI controller cannot drive the mode bits:

1. Use the aligned address (e.g., 16-byte) during reading especially for Quad I/O SDR Read operations. This avoids the 1010b pattern in the last 4 bits of address.
  2. Use Issue Mode Bit Reset (FFh) command or Software Reset (66h-99h) command either before or after each read command transaction to completely disable the continuous read feature if it was inadvertently enabled.
0 Likes