IM231 / 241 datasheet unclrities

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
pver
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

In the IM231 / 241 datasheets there is a Tsc parameter (short circuit withstand time) , but i find this a bit meager.

short circuit of  motor legs U ,V and or W to each other ? to GND or to Vbus?. I'd like to see a clear definition of what is meant by this.

The reason behind it is that we are facing our motor controller failing the short circuit test (all legs shorted to each other) with the IM241, while The IM231 survives the test in the same PCB, but the latter part is EOL , so we want to go for the IM241.

We do want to find the cause of this problem since the IM241 should be sturdier than the IM231 , at least seen by the Tsc spec: the IM231 is specced at 360V while the IM241 is specced at 400V.

we have early samples of the IM241-M6T2J received in june 2021. could it be that these are not up to the standard?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @pver 

Thanks for posting your question in the Infineon community.

short circuit of  motor legs U ,V and or W to each other ? to GND or to Vbus?. I'd like to see a clear definition of what is meant by this.

Ans: The Motor faults are mentioned below 

1) line to line faults

1.1)U to V

1.2)U to W

1.3)V to W

1.4) U to V to W(Very critical fault)

2)Line to Gnd ( U or V or W to Gnd) 

3)Line to Vdc ( U or V or W to Vdc)

The reason behind it is that we are facing our motor controller failing the short circuit test (all legs shorted to each other) with the IM241, while The IM231 survives the test in the same PCB, but the latter part is EOL , so we want to go for the IM241.

we are assuming that you have used IM231 M6T2J in your previous case. Please elaborate your test case and failing condition.

We do want to find the cause of this problem since the IM241 should be sturdier than the IM231 , at least seen by the Tsc spec: the IM231 is specced at 360V while the IM241 is specced at 400V

yes you are correct the IM 241 should give better results compared to the IM 231. I hope you are using same 4A current rating .

we have early samples of the IM241-M6T2J received in june 2021. could it be that these are not up to the standard?

Yes those modules up to the standard .

Kindly elaborate your test case and HW details 

Thanks

Guru

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @pver 

Thanks for posting your question in the Infineon community.

Ans: The Motor faults are mentioned below 

1) line to line faults

1.1)U to V

1.2)U to W

1.3)V to W

1.4) U to V to W(Very critical fault)

2)Line to Gnd ( U or V or W to Gnd) 

3)Line to Vdc ( U or V or W to Vdc)

we are assuming that you have used IM231 M6T2J in your previous case. Please elaborate your test case and failing condition.

We do want to find the cause of this problem since the IM241 should be sturdier than the IM231 , at least seen by the Tsc spec: the IM231 is specced at 360V while the IM241 is specced at 400V

yes you are correct the IM 241 should give better results compared to the IM 231. I hope you are using same 4A current rating .

Yes those modules up to the standard .

Kindly elaborate your test case and HW details 

Thanks

Guru

0 Likes