Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Phil-IH
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hi, I'm Phil, in St. Louis. I'm using FP100R07N3E4,  100A IGBT module.  I'm trying to make sure its capable of handling a short circuit.  The data sheet shows Isc of 480Amps, 10us condition.   Does this mean it will self-limit to 480 Amps?

What happens of the short lasts more than 10us? 

With the delays in the sensor we are using, in the comparator circuit, the gate turn off, etc., the fastest  we can get the gate off is 20us-30us.     I know I'm off the data sheet but, will she blow? 

Does does anyone have experience when the circuit's trip delays are more than 10us?    

0 Likes
1 Solution
Akhil_B
250 sign-ins First question asked 50 solutions authored

Hi @Phil-IH 

Thanks for posting on the Infineon developer Community.

If the sensing circuit won't respond within the rated time, then the device will fail permanently. I suggest you to please use a proper driver with protection features to protect the IGBT.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-1EDI3020AS-DataSheet-v01_10-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d4627956d53f017...

Attached is one of the drivers, please refer.

Best Regards,

Akhil Kumar.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Akhil_B
250 sign-ins First question asked 50 solutions authored

Hi @Phil-IH 

Thanks for posting on the Infineon developer Community.

If the sensing circuit won't respond within the rated time, then the device will fail permanently. I suggest you to please use a proper driver with protection features to protect the IGBT.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-1EDI3020AS-DataSheet-v01_10-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d4627956d53f017...

Attached is one of the drivers, please refer.

Best Regards,

Akhil Kumar.