Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mukeshp11
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

Hello,

We are using FP35R12KT4 along with gate driver 1ed020i12-f2, with all desat protection in one of our VFD projects.

We are observing that on some of the site, there are failure in the devices and major cases Wbottom IGBT is getting damaged.

Attaching the images.- IGBT module in open view- highlighted the damaged part.

The schematic is also being attached.

Rg ON value is 39 Ohms and Rg off is effectively half of 39 Ohms i.e. 19.5 Ohms.

The gate drive is with unipolar supply of 15V as we are using active miller clamp.

Is this the issue of soft turn off or soft turn off  gate driver can be useful here?

Attached IGBT damaged pic, always W-bottom IGBT is always getting damaged.

Awaiting your reply!

Regards,

Mukesh

1 Solution
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Dear @mukeshp11 

Greetings!

Looks like the driver connections are fine be gate loop inductance is one cause for this kind of failures.

may i know which device is got damaged in the modules?

our failure analyses team can help you and provide you the right reason by seeing the modules. you can contact via my cases for them .

Thank you

Guru 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Guru_Prasad

Dear @mukeshp11 

Greetings!

May I know which condition the device got damaged and the test condition?

Thank you

Guru

0 Likes

Its like working for few days, unable to simulate the exact conditions. But sometimes the IGBT module gets damaged within first start of the inverter also.

But have gone through various literature and also as per the images there are no hot spots for thermal runaway or short-circuit.

I suspect may be diode is getting damaged. 

We can share the module with you for further analysis.

Regards,

Mukesh

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Dear @mukeshp11 

Greetings!

Looks like the driver connections are fine be gate loop inductance is one cause for this kind of failures.

may i know which device is got damaged in the modules?

our failure analyses team can help you and provide you the right reason by seeing the modules. you can contact via my cases for them .

Thank you

Guru 

0 Likes
mukeshp11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guru,

Thanks for update. Have checked Gate looping are minimum.

Along with collector emitter it shows gate emitter side also short. I hope you have looked at schematics, Gate resistance values also in previous post, may be you can comment on that too.

I have raised the case for failure analysis.

Let me see for further response.

Thanks,

Mukesh

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Dear @mukeshp11 

Greetings!

The Gate resitiance Rgon=39 ohms and Rg off is 19 is fine.

Since it is bottom side IGBT i understand that the naming was given emitter(Top side) and I am unable to see the collector terminals in Schematics. could you share the full schematics.

Thank you

Guru 

mukeshp11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Attaching the snap shot of schematic with gate driver and C-E and other terminal marked. As full schematic looks confusing have labelled and shared. Any specific input you need, pls share, will discuss.

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Dear @mukeshp11 

The schematics look fine and the gate resistance Rgon=39 ohms and Rg off =19 is also fine. may i know where you have seen the collector and emitter is short?

Thank you

Guru

mukeshp11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for reply!

Its quite random, and not load dependent even at low load have seen such cases, as pointed by customer.

I am not sure about the situation. But when i check parallel diode of the IGBT module, it looks short.

Also for curiosity i had opened the module and i can see a small dot mark on igbt section of the damaged igbt and doesn't look like any thermal away as no black burnt part or so.

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Dear @mukeshp11 

Please send that IGBT  to the quality team so that you can raise the case in the quality track.

Thank you

Guru