Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Hello everyone, my board needs to use a SmartPIM1 series IGBT module: FP35R12U1T4, according to the SmartPIM1 assembly instructions AN2009_09, PCB boards have a layer of tin after the metalization of the aperture, I would like to ask this layer of tin is plated with the surface treatment using the sinking tin process? It seems that most PCB manufacturers nowadays are spraying tin, and there seems to be only copper on the inside of the holes, will this affect the assembly?

Another problem is that according to the assembly instructions the board needs to be drilled between 1.12mm ~ 1.15mm, I can find the best precision factory crimp hole hole diameter tolerance is also ± 0.05mm, it seems not quite able to meet the error requirements. I would like to ask you to play this kind of board to find what manufacturers to meet the requirements?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Hello,

Other connection methods are the same, you can simply understand that crimping and soldering are to assemble the module on the PCB, and other normal operation in accordance with the AN manual on the line.

Best regards.

Rachel

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Hello,

There is no special process required for this layer of tin, spray tin is fine, and from experience this has little effect on assembly.

Please refer to the official documentation for the recommended drilling diameters for the crimping process, and the following requirements for the PCB board:

Rachel_G_0-1713942932070.png

Regarding PCB board makers, we are sorry we don't have information about this.

Best regards.

Rachel

0 Likes
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Thank you for your reply! I was wondering if it is possible to replace my IGBT module with a solderable one if I really can't find a board manufacturer that can meet PressFit's processing requirements. Does Infineon have any solderable IGBTs with similar parameters to the FP35R12U1T4?

0 Likes
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Hello,

IGBT modules for the crimping process are available in soldered assemblies and do not need to be replaced.

Best regards.

Rachel

0 Likes
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Ok, so if a welded assembly is used is it possible that the accuracy of the drilled hole diameters, etc. doesn't have to be as strict as the crimping process, and can just be handled as normal Pad?

0 Likes
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Hello,

Depending on the size of the module package pins, just follow the normal solder pad treatment. When you say counter-counter holder, do you mean rated for additional mounting? Crimped modules can be assembled by soldering and do not require additional counter-counter holders.

Best regards.

Rachel

0 Likes
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Oh, I made a typo, sorry, it should be counter-holder. according to the schematic in the Self-acting PressFIT Assembly section on page 8 of AN2009_09 it should refer to that cover on top of the module, and it looks like you need to use screws to go through the counter-holder, PCB, when crimping. IGBT module and heat sink to complete the fixing. I don't know if it is possible to cover the counter-holder after soldering, so I asked above if the counter-holder is still needed, and if soldering is used, is the connection between the counter-holder, PCB, IGBT module and heat sink still the same as for press-fitting?

0 Likes
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager
100 likes received

Hello,

Other connection methods are the same, you can simply understand that crimping and soldering are to assemble the module on the PCB, and other normal operation in accordance with the AN manual on the line.

Best regards.

Rachel

0 Likes