IKW50N65H5 x 1ED020I12-F2

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mgarbuli
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Dear all

We used here in the company the 1ED020I12-F2 driver and IRFPG4063 in a full bridge inverter (bus voltage 400 Vdc, output 220 Vac 60 Hz).
The gate resistor are 22R, the RC in the desat pin is 470R resistor and 220pF capacitor, with a diode UF4007 in the collector of each IGBT.
The power supply is single, 15 Vdc, the miller clamp pin is connected directtly in the gate of each IGBT. The operation frequency is 20 kHz.
This solution works very well. But the 4063 IGBT is obsolete, so, our distribuitor offered the alternative of IKW50N65H5 IGBT.

With the same configuration, this IGBT doesn´t support the short circuit test. I try change the RC in the desat pin to 100R and 100pF
without sucess.

The peak current in IGBT during short circuit is about 140A, i believe that this value is very close of the maximum capacity of IKW50N65H5.

What can i do to use this alternative IGBT in circuit?

Sincerelly

Marcelo

0 Likes
1 Solution
AZIZ_HASSAN
50 likes received 5 likes given 250 sign-ins

Hi,

AZIZ_HASSAN_0-1648180422114.png

I have attached the image of graph from data sheet showing short circuit current for 5 microsecond.

As per your requirement, the alternate part suggested by Jorge is good(only the mechanical dimension slightly varies)  and can withstand short circuit condition as well. 

Please let me know if you need any help for adjusting your driver parameters to achieve same performance as obsolete part number. 

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hi,

Thank you for posting at Infineon community.

I understood your query and sorry for the obsolete part number. I have few question please answer them to help you further.

1) May I know how you are doing short circuit test. Is it zero impedance short circuit test? Please share a hand drawn picture.

2) Can you please share the data sheet of the obsolete IGBT.

3) Looks like the proposed IGBT is not short circuit rugged and short circuit current of 140 A is well below the RBSOA and this might me one reason why its not detecting short circuit or the current is too low as per the short circuit saturation level and it might take more time to detect short circuit. Anyway, please share the details asked to give you a final solution.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Dear Aziz

Thanks for your reply.

1) May I know how you are doing short circuit test. Is it zero impedance short circuit test? Please share a hand drawn picture.

Here is the schematic attached. Yes, i are using a circuit breaker to short circuit the output.

2) Can you please share the data sheet of the obsolete IGBT.

Please check the attached datasheet of 4063.

Sincerelly;

Marcelo

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the details.

The obsolete part number is short circuit rugged and its nominal current is 48 A and short circuit is nearly 400A. So, the short circuit can be detected here (because short circuit current is too high than nominal). However, in the data sheet suggested to you, the short circuit current is nearly equal to rated RBSOA current. Technically, it can detect the short circuit if u operate at lower current and the DESAT parameters (resistor and capacitor need to be small).

But the device is not short circuit rugged so i recommend you not to use it in case you are looking for short circuit.

Please let me know your application and its requirements to suggest a suitable alternate device. 

AZIZ_HASSAN_0-1648129208994.png

I hope this is the path for the current during your short circuit. If yes then , two inductors are coming in series which will lower down the di/dt and hence again the short circuit detection will be delayed. Please correct me if I m wrong regarding the current path.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes

Dear Aziz

Yes, you are correct about the current path in the circuit.

My application is for inverter input 48Vdc, output 220Vac, 3000VA/2400W. The IGBT is used in the bridge inverter like the image above.

0 Likes

Where did you found the information of short circuit capability of 4063 in datasheet??

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hi,

AZIZ_HASSAN_0-1648180422114.png

I have attached the image of graph from data sheet showing short circuit current for 5 microsecond.

As per your requirement, the alternate part suggested by Jorge is good(only the mechanical dimension slightly varies)  and can withstand short circuit condition as well. 

Please let me know if you need any help for adjusting your driver parameters to achieve same performance as obsolete part number. 

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes

Dear Aziz;

Ok, many thanks for your help!

0 Likes
IGBT_JC
10 sign-ins First question asked 5 solutions authored

Hello Marcelo,

The proposal replacement suggested by the distributor is wrong. The right replacement for IRGP4063D is IKW50N65ET7  https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-IKW50N65ET7-DataSheet-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46272e49d2a01...

IKW50N65ET7 has short circuit capacity, also lower VCEsat, similar switching losses for the same Rg, and better Rg controllability than IRGP4063D. Therefore, perhaps you still need to adjust the Rg to match the current switching performance (dv/dt's and di/dt's) of your system using IRGP4063D.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Jorge

Dear Jorge

Thanks for the suggestion, i will order some IGBTs to test!

Sincerelly

Marcelo

0 Likes