Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
dinkogospodinov
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hello  Dear Colleagues,

Few months ago I've created a power board by using IGCM15F60GA  power module. The idea was to create a three phase inverter and to regulate the speed of small three phase motor. After I connected the control board to the power one, nothing happened. The control signals were there, but nothing else. What could be the reason? In the attachment you can see a picture of my schematic. I would be very thankful if you can help me.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vicky_S
10 likes received 5 likes given 100 replies posted

Hello, 
1. Pin 17,18,19 shall be connected to the ground through a shunt resistor but if you are not concerned about the overcurrent protection then those pin can be connected to a signal ground (near to Vss pin) using a thin trace.
2. Connect an ceramic cap of 100nF/35V between pin13 and 16 and shall be close to the pins.
3.  Provide 18V  input for the operation of 7815 IC.
4. Connect a snubber capacitor between power pins (23 and  common point of pin 17,18,19)  and shall be close to the power pins.

Kindly refer this document for more details, AN2016-11 Application Note

Suggestion: kindly have a look on overcurrent protection from a shared app note and implement it to avoid the failure.

Best regards,
Vicky S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Vicky_S

Hello, 
Thank you for contacting Infineon. We are looking into your thread and will get back to you soon.

Best regards,
Vicky S

0 Likes
Vicky_S

Hello, 
1. Pin 17,18,19 shall be connected to the ground through a shunt resistor but if you are not concerned about the overcurrent protection then those pin can be connected to a signal ground (near to Vss pin) using a thin trace.
2. Connect an ceramic cap of 100nF/35V between pin13 and 16 and shall be close to the pins.
3.  Provide 18V  input for the operation of 7815 IC.
4. Connect a snubber capacitor between power pins (23 and  common point of pin 17,18,19)  and shall be close to the power pins.

Kindly refer this document for more details, AN2016-11 Application Note

Suggestion: kindly have a look on overcurrent protection from a shared app note and implement it to avoid the failure.

Best regards,
Vicky S

0 Likes

Hello again,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will do everything you said and will give you a feedback. For sure in the next prototyping board will add shunt resistors for current protection. At the moment I'd like to test my software for motor control.

Thanks a lot. Happy Hollidays

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Vicky. I tried what had mentioned, but unfortunately the result was the same as before. I should be happy if a shortcut had occurred, but  again nothing. In the attachment I send you two oscillograms of the control signals of phase U.  The PWM pulses are from the high side. The highest frequency is around 4,7kHz. Really I don't understand what is wrong. The six signals are present on the pins of the integral circuit.

0 Likes
Vicky_S

Hello,
We will wait for your feedback and please expect some delays in the response due to holidays.
Happy Holidays !

Best regards,
Vicky S

0 Likes
Vicky_S

Hello,

Could you please check the voltage between the following pins?
1. Voltage between Vcc(13) and Vss(16)
It should be around 15V
2. Voltage between Vcc(13) and NW(17)
It should be around 15V
3. Voltage between +VB_U(2) and -Vs_U(1)
It should be close to 14V
4. Voltage between Vss(16) and NW(17)
It should be close to 0V
Five. Voltage between P (23) and NW (17)
Should be around 310V
It should be close to 0V
6. Voltage between Itrip (15) and Vss (16)
It should be close to 0V
7. Voltage between VFO (14) and Vss (16)
Must be close to 5V (must be pulled up to 5V through a resistor)

If all the above signal levels are correct, provide a complimentary PWM only to U phase Hin, Lin with duty cycle 45% and frequency less than 20 kHz.
Check the waveform between pin (22) and pin (17). Please share your waveforms so we can review them and suggest further steps to resolve the issue.

Best regards,
Vicky S

0 Likes
dinkogospodinov
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi Vicky,

I've checked everything you mentioned. All signals were correct except the bootstrap circuits. The voltage between pins 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 was around 0V. It seems that the internal bootstrap circuits don't work.  Perhaps external bootstrap circuit has to be added for every phase. How many ohm should be the bootstrap resistor? Is the bootstrap diode fast( for example 1N4148)

0 Likes
Vicky_S

Hello, 
There are two possibilities. 1. Some sort of failure in IPM, 2. No path to charge the bootstrap circuitry.
You can keep all bottom switches in ON state so that there will be a path to charge the bootstrap capacitor and then measure the voltage, still voltage does not appear across pins 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 then you can think of replacing IPM instead of connecting external bootstrap circuitry. 
Note: Do not provide 310VDC while doing this. 

Best regards,
Vicky S

0 Likes
Vicky_S

Hello,
We are kindly waiting for your reply.

Best regards,
Vicky S