IGBT getting started

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Matteo
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Dear all,

I am new with IGBT (I have experience with mosfet). I need to develop a H-Bridge to drive (and test) custom magnetics (transformers/inductors).

IGBT are required because the large current I need to manage (up to 300Vrms).

I focused my attention on IGBT modules (EconoDUAL™ 3 / EconoPACK™ 3)  in dual and four pack configuration. Can I have your support:

- Can you suggest me the easier (and faster) way to get a result? Am I in the right direction?

- Is there any evaluation board for IGBT driving?

- What about IGBT paralleling? In the case I would implement a modular solution?

Any suggestion is well accepted.

Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @Matteo 

Yes you can make the H-Bridge with the same devices and the driver design will be easy. Please share your

entire schematic for your H-bridge and drivers, we will review it and get back to you.

Please design the bus bar and Dc link capacitor as per your application.

Please consider REF-22K-GPD-INV-EASY3B application note for other components(except IGBT) design 

Please feel free to contact us for any support

Thanks

Guru

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Guru_Prasad

Hello @Matteo 

Thanks for posting your question in the Infineon community.

Yes, you are in the right direction for choosing the IGBT modules for your application.

Infineon provides the evaluation boards for IGBT products Please click here for the evaluation boards page.

Paralleling is also possible for IGBT products in case the load currents are higher than your device-rated

current.

Please let me know your current and duration of the current. we will suggest you the right device.

Please let me know if you need any additional details we will support for your designs.

Thanks

Guru 

0 Likes
Matteo
Level 1
Level 1

Here are some data:

• Voltage shape: square wave
  • Current shape: trangular wave
  • Frequency range: 1khz - 25kHz
  • Current peak: 550A 
  • Current RMS: 320A

I need to realize a first setup in short time to evaluate feasibility (Is it possible to use only evaluation boards in a first stage?) and then I can go further with development.

Regards

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @Matteo 

The FF600R07ME4 will fit your application. 

In the first stage, if the evaluation boards are available you can use them. Looks there are no evaluation boards

on this power rating so kindly make your own board and test your inductors and transformers.

Please let me know if you need any help for your designs.

Thanks

Guru

0 Likes
Matteo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Guru_Prasad ,

I also found FF900R12ME7_B11  that can be used with higher input voltage.

Can you confirm me the package is the same and eventually can be replaced (supposing to start with FF600R07ME4)?

Also I found this evaluation board https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN2008_02_EconoDUAL3_PACK+-ApplicationNotes-v01_03-EN.pdf?fil...

That seems to be available (for instance https://www.arrow.com/en/products/2ed100e12f2evalnosa1/infineon-technologies-ag)

Am I wrong?

Thank you

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @Matteo 

Please use FF900R12ME7_B11 for your application because it has an evaluation board. The ordering procedure has been given on application note page no.33. 

Thanks

Guru

0 Likes
Matteo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Guru_Prasad

Can you confirm me that paired with another module (and properly controlled by an MCU) I can implement an H-bridge?

Any mechanical suggestion? My idea was to keep close the two module, to use bus-bar to connect them to a capacitor bank on the input and the magnetic component on the output. A custom electronic above driver board to generate programmable PWM.

Am I missing any important detail? Are there "commercial" component you can suggest me? Or any application note where some solution is proposed?

Regards

Matteo

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN
50 likes received 5 likes given 250 sign-ins

Hi,

If you want to keep two modules close to each other and want to connect them to bus bar, prima facie you can follow following suggestions:

1) Try to keep the bus bar symmetric either it be on AC side or DC side.

2) The bus bar should have minimum bending and try that the current path has low loop inductance. Ideally, try to keep the current path straight. This is to avoid any stray or loop inductance.

3) Focus on proper creepage and clearance  between + and - plates of bus bar and also between any other metallic body. This will help you to mitigate the parasitic components at high frequency operations.

4) Yes you can keep the magnetic components at output side, however try to keep the cable length from connecting terminal to load small. This may not impact much in your application but generally it is followed.

There may be additional suggestions based upon the design which you want but with the above listed ones you can easily start your design.

I hope you understood and if you need help regarding device paralleling please let us know, we can give you some design suggestions on that.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @Matteo 

Yes you can make the H-Bridge with the same devices and the driver design will be easy. Please share your

entire schematic for your H-bridge and drivers, we will review it and get back to you.

Please design the bus bar and Dc link capacitor as per your application.

Please consider REF-22K-GPD-INV-EASY3B application note for other components(except IGBT) design 

Please feel free to contact us for any support

Thanks

Guru

0 Likes