IGBT and driver selection

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ultracold_atoms
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I need an IGBT to switch magnetic coils (operating in the 0-100A range). Additionally, I will need gate drivers, and preferably drivers that come with convenient evaluation kits. Ideally the kits could accept an external voltage as an input and drive the gate in proportion to that.

I am considering the model FZ400R12KS4HOSA1 IGBT. May I know what gate driver eval kit will work for this part and whether that kit can accept an external voltage as an input? Incidentally, I would be happy for other suggestions of IGBT parts and eval kids.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

In our portfolio of IGBT gate driver evaluation boards, we have minimum of dual channels. There are also one channel gate drivers, but the overall evk has 2 outputs (2 drivers). 

If the gate driver EVK is targeted for high and low side switches, please use them in your application accordingly. 

If your coil is directly connected to ground, you can use the low side driver. If it is in series with the circuit, then please use the high side driver. 

Low and High side driver EVK: 2ED250E12-F , 2ED100E12-F2

Separate channels: MA300E12

MA300E17

Please let me know if this suits your application. I can suggest additional EVKs based on that.

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Thank you for Posting on the Infineon Community. 

Following IGBT modules can be used for your application ( Switching magnetic coil at 100A and single switch), 

FZ400R12KE4

FZ400R12KP4

FZ400R17KE4

FZ400R65KE3

Evaluation kits: We do have evaluation kits that has both IGBT and driver on a single board. There are also evaluation boards that has a single driver used to drive an external IGBT switch. Please let me know your exact requirement. I can suggest you accordingly. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Thanks for your response. The FZ400R12KE4 is interesting to me, but I don't know enough about the IGBT technology to appreciate all of the differences between the parts you recommended. I would be grateful for any info you can provide along these lines.

As for a driver eval kit, I am interested in looking at both configurations. May I have recommendations for both the single board IGBT+driver combination and the driver with external IGBT?

The only requirement is that we have something that can take an external voltage as an input and adjust the gate current as a function of that voltage. This will be an analog voltage signal because we are looking to stabilize the current through our coils with a control loop (not just switch it). Also, some type of optical isolation would be great.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Please find attached the excel sheet which briefly explains about the specs of the mentioned IGBTs in my previous response. 

Evaluation boards:

Only Gate driver: There are wide range of evaluation boards for driving an IGBT. Please do let know me the exact specifications of the IGBT for which you need a gate driver eval board. 

Gate driver + IGBT: I understand from your application that you are switching only a single coil which requires a single IGBT. But in our portfolio of eval board, a single IGBT is not available. We do have it for different motor driving applications like fans, compressors, pumps, conveyer belts etc., which has a minimum of 6 IGBTs on a single board. Kindly let me know if this is desired. I will suggest eval boards based on your requirements. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Thanks for this, although it basically reiterates the information in the datasheet. The differences between the IGBT technology are what I don't completely understand. Nevertheless, let's go with FZ400R12KE4. For the "only gate driver", what evaluation kit works for this IGBT?

0 Likes

I'm still interested in your suggestions for driver eval boards for the FZ400R12KE4

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

In our portfolio of IGBT gate driver evaluation boards, we have minimum of dual channels. There are also one channel gate drivers, but the overall evk has 2 outputs (2 drivers). 

If the gate driver EVK is targeted for high and low side switches, please use them in your application accordingly. 

If your coil is directly connected to ground, you can use the low side driver. If it is in series with the circuit, then please use the high side driver. 

Low and High side driver EVK: 2ED250E12-F , 2ED100E12-F2

Separate channels: MA300E12

MA300E17

Please let me know if this suits your application. I can suggest additional EVKs based on that.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Sorry, just to be clear, are you saying that the FZ400R12KE4 (which was your recommendation when I asked for an IGBT that I could use with an eval board) does not have an eval board? As far as I can tell, all of the eval boards you recommended are for the PrimePack, and the FZ400R12KE4 does not appear in the Infineon list of PrimePack parts.

So I guess I am back to my original question. Can you recommend an IGBT for magnetic field current control and a corresponding driver eval board?

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Yes, as already mentioned we dont have an EVK with only single IGBT as you mentioned. 

You need to buy IGBT and gate driver separately.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes