Gate Driver Selection for 3-phase Si IGBT Inverter

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
hafsaqamar
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

I am developing a 3 phase Silicon IGBT inverter. I plan to use IKW40N65F5 Silicon IGBT devices and switch them at 10 kHz switching frequency. Among hundreds of gate driver options available on Infineon, I have selected following possible options:

(A) 2ED2184S06F (650 V, +2.5 A/ -2.5 A half-bridge gate driver) or

(B) 6ED2230S12T (1200 V, 0.35 A/ -0.65 A three-phase gate driver)

I can  either  three of 2ED2184S06F gate drivers or just one 6ED2230S12T gate driver for my 3-phase inverter.  However, I am concerned about the source and sink currents which may be too high for 2ED2184S06F and too low for 6ED2230S12T.

If I use three half-bridge gate drivers (2ED2184S06F) where each gate driver has a source/sink current of 2.5 A, then my DC source should provide 7.5A current but small biasing DC source cannot provide such a high current.

On the other hand, if I use just one three-phase gate driver (6ED2230S12T), then the total source/sink current is less than 1 A which may not be able to drive 6 Silicon IGBT devices. 

Please guide whether I should use three 2ED2184S06F gate drivers or one 6ED2230S12T gate driver for a 3 phase Silicon IGBT inverter and how can I assure the proper working of the gate drivers for my required application. 

Also, if you can suggest any better option for gate driver, I would really appreciate that.

0 Likes
1 Solution
喜马拉雅之雪
Employee

Hi Hafsaqamar:

Thanks for your comments.

For the IGBT, it is very fast and high than most MOSFET. For half/3 phase bridge application, the switching limited is from bode diode. As the trr is 50nS(Tj=150℃), the typical switching limited time is about 25nS.

For the switching, the turn ON and OFF time is booking on drive current vs Qgc. This is about 24~34nQ from datasheet:

_0-1689238731508.png

We set Qgc is 30nQ, then IGBT need drive current:

Igmax=30nQ/25nS=1.2A (switching limited, turn on and off is about 25nS)

Ig 50nS=30nQ/50nS=0.6A (turn on/off is about 50nS)

Ig 100nS=30nQ/100nS=0.3A(turn on/off is about 100nS)

So from IGBT, my suggest is 2ED2184 from your select.

For circuit design, we need meet EMI performance. The problem is from PCB layout and structure and LPF...

So maybe, the drive limited current it will lower than theoretical value. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
cynic_bandera
Employee
Employee
5 questions asked First question asked 100 sign-ins

You found the best two solutions. Two solutions can be used. There are pros and cons.

1.  If you have 3 separate drivers with 2.5A, it would be enough to drive every IGBT in your power range. You can set output current with Rg at every level up to 2.5A. You don´t need a powerful DC supply since 2.5A is a peak of 50-100mA. You can place the drivers on PCB close to the IGBTs.

2. One driver you can´t put close to the all IGBTs, probably you need additional gate amplifiers based on NPN+PNP (or at least PNP), placed close to the each IGBT.

The second one is more attractive regarding cost

0 Likes

Hello ,

Any update please.

Thanks and regards,

AZIZ

0 Likes
喜马拉雅之雪
Employee

Hi Hafsaqamar:

Thanks for your comments.

For the IGBT, it is very fast and high than most MOSFET. For half/3 phase bridge application, the switching limited is from bode diode. As the trr is 50nS(Tj=150℃), the typical switching limited time is about 25nS.

For the switching, the turn ON and OFF time is booking on drive current vs Qgc. This is about 24~34nQ from datasheet:

_0-1689238731508.png

We set Qgc is 30nQ, then IGBT need drive current:

Igmax=30nQ/25nS=1.2A (switching limited, turn on and off is about 25nS)

Ig 50nS=30nQ/50nS=0.6A (turn on/off is about 50nS)

Ig 100nS=30nQ/100nS=0.3A(turn on/off is about 100nS)

So from IGBT, my suggest is 2ED2184 from your select.

For circuit design, we need meet EMI performance. The problem is from PCB layout and structure and LPF...

So maybe, the drive limited current it will lower than theoretical value. 

0 Likes

Hello Hafza,

Any update please.

Thanks and regards,

AZIZ

0 Likes