Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jontm
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi!

I am working with a design now that requires modules to be in a EconoDUAL or similar form factor to fit the mechanical design. I need a 24 pulse bridge rectifier and i am wondering if i can use the regular IGBT modules in this form factor as simple diode rectifiers simply by not driving the gate signals ?

I guess i might need to still fit gate drivers and apply power and tie the gate signals low ?

Are there any specific pitfalls that i need to be aware of in such an application ?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Dear @jontm 

if i can use them for that purpose, how do i need to deal with the IGBT gate signals ? Can i leave them open or may that cause them to sporadically turn on when they are not supposed to ?

Ans) please short the gate and emitter pins. it will maintain OFF the IGBT all the time. we should not leave open the gate pin.

If that is the case, would it be possible to just add a gate driver and tie the logic gate signals to ground ?

Ans)Not an economical solution. Please use the above recommendation for OFF condition.

The reason that i ask this is that Infineon does not seem to offer any pure diode rectifier modules in the EconoDUAL package size and that is a hard requirement for us. 

Ans) I understand your requirement. let me check the diode current ratings with the internal teams or I can check other solutions if possible. Please continue our conversations in my cases it self.

Thanks for your detailed discussions.

Thank you

Guru 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Guru_Prasad

Dear @jontm 

Greetings from Infineon

Thank you for posting your question in the community forum.

Please check the modules in below below link
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/igbt/igbt-modules/econo/

I need a 24 pulse bridge rectifier and i am wondering if i can use the regular IGBT modules in this form factor as simple diode rectifiers simply by not driving the gate signals ?
Ans)Please refer below link for HVDC solutions in this link you can see the solutions and products for both side AC to DC and DC- AC side

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/applications/industrial/power-transmission-and-distribution/high-vol...

I guess i might need to still fit gate drivers and apply power and tie the gate signals low ?

Ans) Please elaborate this question

Are there any specific pitfalls that i need to be aware of in such an application ?

Ans)Please elaborate your system and power ratings. we are happy to help you in the design process please share your question on Infineon/ my cases

Guru_Prasad_0-1677586718275.png

Thank you

Guru

0 Likes

Hi!

I am well aware of these attached documents and we have a design ready to deploy. I have also know what IGBT modules to choose that fit our application in terms of voltage, current and power levels. 

My question is quite simple, can the IGBT modules with EconoDUAL package be used as a simple non controlled bridge rectifier. Just using the internal diodes in the modules for rectification provided that I stay within the electrical specifications in the datasheet for the diodes of course.

And if i can use them for that purpose, how do i need to deal with the IGBT gate signals ? Can i leave them open or may that cause them to sporadically turn on when they are not supposed to ?

If that is the case, would it be possible to just add a gate driver and tie the logic gate signals to ground ?

The reason that i ask this is that Infineon does not seem to offer any pure diode rectifier modules in the EconoDUAL package size and that is a hard requirement for us. 

Just to reiterate in case I was a bit unclear. I am looking to take a set of the IGBT modules from Infineon that has the EconoDUAL package, then use only the diode part of it to create a simple non controlled rectifier. Not a very economical solution, but as stated earlier, i need the EconoDUAL package form factor.

I have started a support case for this also, in case it is better to get answered to such questions as a ticket instead.

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Dear @jontm 

if i can use them for that purpose, how do i need to deal with the IGBT gate signals ? Can i leave them open or may that cause them to sporadically turn on when they are not supposed to ?

Ans) please short the gate and emitter pins. it will maintain OFF the IGBT all the time. we should not leave open the gate pin.

Ans)Not an economical solution. Please use the above recommendation for OFF condition.

Ans) I understand your requirement. let me check the diode current ratings with the internal teams or I can check other solutions if possible. Please continue our conversations in my cases it self.

Thanks for your detailed discussions.

Thank you

Guru 

0 Likes