About F3L400R07W3S5_B59

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Hi,  Please tell me about F3L400R07W3S5_B59.

If you check the internal circuit diagram, the IGBTs on the High side and Low side of the 3-level circuit are configured in parallel. What is the reason for this?

Modul number:F3L400R07W3S5_B59

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-F3L400R07W3S5_B59-DataSheet-v01_00-JA.pdf?fileId=8ac78c8c7c72...

Regards, 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Akhil_B
250 sign-ins First question asked 50 solutions authored

Hi @YuTa_4942221 

In light load conditions if two switches are operated in parallel the switching loss will be slightly

more compared to the single switch loss. But ultimately the losses will depend on the ON & OFF

strategy (PWM technique).

The main reason to provide a configuration like this is chips are fast and they do not have internal

gate resistors. We need separate Gate Emitter pins for better controllability and paralleling.

Please feel free to contact me if any other details are required.

Best Regards,

Akhil Kumar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Akhil_B

Hi @YuTa_4942221 

Thanks for posting on the Infineon community page.

To meet the required nominal current of 200A and especially with fast switching nature, it is

required to have two S5 chips in parallel.

In light load conditions, this module can be operated with a single switch to reduce the losses. 

Please let us know if any other details are required.

Thanks & Regards,

Akhil Kumar.

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Akhil Kumar-san

Is it okay to understand that the reason why the high side and low side gate terminals that are in parallel are not one but are configured separately is that they can be driven by one element under light load?
Also, I'm sorry for the lack of study, but could you please tell me the reason why the loss is reduced by one element in the case of light load?

Regards, 

0 Likes
Akhil_B

Hi @YuTa_4942221 

In light load conditions if two switches are operated in parallel the switching loss will be slightly

more compared to the single switch loss. But ultimately the losses will depend on the ON & OFF

strategy (PWM technique).

The main reason to provide a configuration like this is chips are fast and they do not have internal

gate resistors. We need separate Gate Emitter pins for better controllability and paralleling.

Please feel free to contact me if any other details are required.

Best Regards,

Akhil Kumar.

0 Likes