How the heatsink is mounted to the PCB of EVAL_2EDB_HB_GaN?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
abhinav_937
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked 5 replies posted 25 sign-ins

I'm wondering how the Heatsink is connected to the PCB of the Evaluation board EVAL_2EDB_HB_GaN.

We are designing a half-bridge board using IGLD60R190D1 and 2EDF7275K with the reference of EVAL_2EDB_HB_GaN.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Shivam_P
100 replies posted 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Dear @abhinav_937 ,

The GaN FETs being high power density switches, needs appropriate cooling in order to improve the thermal performance of the overall Eval board. Also, connecting a larger heatsink on the top side of the Eval board may not be feasible since most of the components are mounted on the top side of the board (as shown below).

ShivamPandey_0-1678688294978.pngShivamPandey_1-1678688353676.png

Hence, For the mentioned Eval board, the heat sink is mounted on the bottom side of the board, where the thermal vias (as shown in red box) used in the PCB carry the heat from the GaN to the heat sink connected on the bottom side of the PCB.

ShivamPandey_2-1678688744334.png

I hope it clarifies your question.

Kind Regards

Shivam

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Shivam_P

Dear @abhinav_937 ,

The GaN FETs being high power density switches, needs appropriate cooling in order to improve the thermal performance of the overall Eval board. Also, connecting a larger heatsink on the top side of the Eval board may not be feasible since most of the components are mounted on the top side of the board (as shown below).

ShivamPandey_0-1678688294978.pngShivamPandey_1-1678688353676.png

Hence, For the mentioned Eval board, the heat sink is mounted on the bottom side of the board, where the thermal vias (as shown in red box) used in the PCB carry the heat from the GaN to the heat sink connected on the bottom side of the PCB.

ShivamPandey_2-1678688744334.png

I hope it clarifies your question.

Kind Regards

Shivam

Thanks for clarifying why the heatsink is mounted at bottom of the PCB, I would like to know the way it is attached to the PCB(through epoxy and sil pad or adhesive sil pad or any other way).

If possible share the Part number of the adhesive/ adhesive sil pad.

Thanks,

Abhinav

0 Likes
Shivam_P

Dear Abhinav,

The thermal interface material used between the PCB and heat sink is a polyimide film, which also acts as an electrical insulating material between GaNFETs and Heatsink.

The part number is- BOYD PC03MT100 

Regards

Shivam