Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
fishintoilet
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hi, I'm using 1EDI3030AS gate driver for SiC MOSFETs

after soldering the gate driver IC to my PCB, there is an spark between pin 13 and 14

as my application use +15V for VCC2 and -3V for VEE2, there gonna be a 18V of voltage difference between pin 13 and 14.

I used the IC's footrpint from Infineon web site(for altium users), and I checked there is about 0.2mm of clearance between two pins.

any other components are soldered except the flyback circuit for making VCC2 and VEE2 and gate driver IC.

In my opinion, 0.2mm of clearance is not sufficient for 18V voltage difference between pin 13,14.

should I reduce the pad in footrpint of IC?

the picture below is how my board looks like.

fishintoilet_0-1697000763042.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
Mathi_E
10 solutions authored 25 sign-ins First like received

Hi,

Altium footprint are designed as per the package requirement. 18V DC voltage should not cause spark on pin 13 and 14.

Could you please tell:

1. Is there a HV track close to this pins?
  2. What topology is this gate drivers used? 
  3. Is this a spark in noticed once or you have found same in different PCBA, how many PBC it is noted? If its just one board than check on the assembly . 
  4. Is the device is operational now after you observe a spark, if possible could share the image of where you get spark.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Mathi_E
10 solutions authored 25 sign-ins First like received

Hi,

Altium footprint are designed as per the package requirement. 18V DC voltage should not cause spark on pin 13 and 14.

Could you please tell:

1. Is there a HV track close to this pins?
  2. What topology is this gate drivers used? 
  3. Is this a spark in noticed once or you have found same in different PCBA, how many PBC it is noted? If its just one board than check on the assembly . 
  4. Is the device is operational now after you observe a spark, if possible could share the image of where you get spark.
0 Likes