What is the DC constant current capabilities of the IR4426/7/8

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Piet_de_Pad
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Hi

I like the IR4426/7/8 low end drivers because they have MOSFET end stages, have two channels, and have a SO8 package. Unfortunate, the data specifications only specify the pulsed output currents. I need to know what the DC current capacity is.

Can anyone tell me what the DC output current capabilities are of these drivers, and what the RDSon resistance is of the output stage.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Meghana
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello @Piet_de_Pad ,

Below data is with regards to your initial query. 

Rdson_source =6.5 Ω (typ.) 

RDS_on_sink= 4.6 Ω (typ.).

The DC current is limited by the power dissipation of the package. 

Coming back to your application, kindly allow us sometime to analyse and get back with better solution, if there is any.

Regards

Meghana  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Meghana

Hello @Piet_de_Pad ,

Thank you for using the Infineon developer community. 

Can you please let me know, how are you intending to use this data?  

Regards

Meghana R

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Piet_de_Pad
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Hi Infineon, Meghana

The IR4426/7/8  is  DUAL LOW SIDE DRIVER SOIC8 with a MOSFET Totem Pole output. There are not many TTL in to rail to rail output products  that have an 1Amp output that can switch voltage above 5V, this chip can do 20V. I wanted to use your chip not as high power MOSFET gate driver but as a TTL level in and power output High Low driver for various  loads with continues sink and source currents. Right now I create my own drivers using transistors like the voltage inverter image attached and below, but i don't like this transistor solution.

I hope the  IR4426/7/8  can handle equal or more than  1Amp 20V.  If you have suggestions for better solution in a SOIC-8 package, I would like to hear that. Your data sheet doesn’t indicate the constant current DC capabilities of the IR4426/7/8 Output and that is why I was asking.

Hope this clears up the reason why  I ask my question.

Regards Oscar Goos

Alias Piet_de_Pad

Piet_de_Pad_0-1660187317378.png

0 Likes
Meghana

Hello @Piet_de_Pad ,

Below data is with regards to your initial query. 

Rdson_source =6.5 Ω (typ.) 

RDS_on_sink= 4.6 Ω (typ.).

The DC current is limited by the power dissipation of the package. 

Coming back to your application, kindly allow us sometime to analyse and get back with better solution, if there is any.

Regards

Meghana  

0 Likes

Thanks Meghana,

6.5 and 4.7 Ω That quite high for my application. But it's an answer I can work with.

I f you know a SOC8 with two channels and a mosfet outputs power drivers with a VCC > 5V  let me now I havent found them.

Thanks for you help

Meghana

Hello @Piet_de_Pad ,

All gate drivers within Infineon portfolio come with MOSFET based output drive stage.

If you need a simple drive control with two channels, IR25600S can be one alternate. 

But there are also a few other 2-channel drivers which come with one floating output channel which makes it compatible for driving both a high side and a low side power switch, but since you need them as TTL stage, you can still consider them as well.  Please refer below link.

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/gate-driver-ics/?filterValues=~(358~(~%27High-side~%27...

Regards

Meghana R

0 Likes