Reg_1ED3122MU12HXUMA1_GATE DRIVER IC FALSE OUTPUT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
gurusamy
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi,

We are using the Gate Driver IC part 1ED3122MU12HXUMA1 to Turn OFF the 1.2kV rated N-Channel MOSFET. 

During the High voltage Testing (1usec Pulse width, 1.2kV voltage switching at MOSFET), Gate driver output getting false Turn OFF.

Gate Driver output wave form does not comply with Gate Driver Input wave form. 

I have attached two images (Normal Working Condition and False condition). In wave form denotes Yellow Color - Gate Driver Output , Blue Color - Gate Driver Input.

What could be the reason for this False Output ? 

Kindly clarify this False Triggering scenario to rectify this issue.

At normal condition Vgs and gate driver inputAt normal condition Vgs and gate driver inputFALSE CONDITIONFALSE CONDITION

Regards,

Gurusamy M (+91 9842897485)

Data Patterns (I) Ltd,

Chennai-603103, INDIA

0 Likes
1 Solution
AZIZ_HASSAN
50 likes received 5 likes given 250 sign-ins

Hello Guru,

Thanks for your explanation. However, I hope you are using one driver IC for each switch i.e. total 40 driver IC is used. If so then you need not to connect the resistors. In fact the resistors behave as a  low resistor path(512*2 is low value) and might give some abnormalities. Rest the isolation told by you is correct.

Please try this and let me know.

Thanks and regards,

AZIZ

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hello Guru,

Thanks for posting at Infineon community.

To look into your issue deeply, can you please share your test circuit and was  the false triggering not happening at voltage less than 1.2KV. In addition to it, can you please provide the device voltage and current (Vds, Id) waveform.

Best Regards,

AZIZ

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi,

Herewith i have attached circuit of Gate Driver and MOSFET switching sections.

Kindly verify and provide your feed back for the impact of Gate driver output false Triggering.

Best Regard,

Gurusamy M

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi,

I have attached the detailed circuit diagram and Test reports for further failure analysis.

Kindly provide your feedback quickly to solve this issue at earliest. Please let me know if any other details required.

Regards,

Gurusamy M

0 Likes

Hi AZIZ,

As discussed i have attached the Test Circuit and Test reports. Kindly support to resolve this issue.

Note : This issue happen randomly. Kindly let me know if any more details required.

Best Regards,

Gurusamy M

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hello Guru,

Thanks for your details. Can you please answer  whether this false turn off is happening only at 1.2kV or it is happening at lower voltage also. Along with this can you please share the test circuit schematic and the device voltage and current during false turn off and during normal operation for comparison.

Thanks and regrads,

AZIZ

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi,

I have attached the detailed circuit diagram and Test reports for further failure analysis.

Kindly provide your feedback quickly to solve this issue at earliest. Please let me know if any other details required.

Regards,

Gurusamy M

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hello Guru,

May I know why you have connected a 2*512 ohm resistor between SGND and PGND. Its not recommended. Already there is a isolation between primary and secondary.  Please remove this circuit and test once.

Thanks and regards,

AZIZ

0 Likes

Hi Aziz,

As the HV SIC-MOSFET is connected with 40kV(DC) node,40kV isolation need to be provided bw Primary and Secondary of Gate driver IC(1ED3122MU12HXUMA1).

Since 1ED3122MU12HXUMA1 only supports isolation voltage of 5.7kV-rms(1min), 2x512 ohms used between primary and secondary to avoid the DC-voltage built-up. And voltage rating of each 512 ohms is 3kV -FYI

While HV switching operation, Voltage measured bw primary and secondary(ie.,bw PGND and SGND) was just ~800V,.

As per the attachment sent in our previous discussion,all measurements/waveform taken in 1ED3122MU12HXUMA1 are well within the range as recommended by the datasheet.

All the pin functionalities/parameters of gate driver IC seems to be ok, except output pin.-Refer the attachment.

What would be the cause of this abnormal behavior of 1ED3122MU12HXUMA1?

Note 1:Isolation bw primary and secondary supply of 1ED3122MU12HXUMA1 is maintained at least 20kV(min)

Note 2:All waveforms are taken only at gatedriver IC's pin only using battery operated oscilloscope.

Best Regards,

Gurusamy M

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hello Guru,

Thanks for your explanation. However, I hope you are using one driver IC for each switch i.e. total 40 driver IC is used. If so then you need not to connect the resistors. In fact the resistors behave as a  low resistor path(512*2 is low value) and might give some abnormalities. Rest the isolation told by you is correct.

Please try this and let me know.

Thanks and regards,

AZIZ

0 Likes

Dear Aziz,

As already mentioned, the primary and secondary supply which is given to gate driver IC is completely isolated and 40kV potential is connected with drain of SIC MOSFET.So there is a possibility of DC high voltage built-up(ie.,it may be >5kV) between primary and secondary.

And all the parameters and measurements w.r.t gate driver IC are well within the limit as recommended by the datasheet.

As you seen that,only output of the gate-driver is completely goes OFF at 300th nano-sec and never turned ON again,even the input pulse-width is 1usec

So that only we are asking that, Is there any possibility of condition in which the driver output goes OFF permanently.

Please do the needful to resolve the issue.

Best Regards,

Gurusamy M

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hello Guru,

I am happy that you have raised same query in our case management system, I request you to continue the case there. With your permission, would like to close this case.

Thanks and regrads,

AZIZ

0 Likes