IR2117 driver not turning on gate

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
slieberman
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

After substituting a number of new IR2117 drivers and replacing IGBTs, I am still unsuccessful at switching the IGBT to an ON state.  Please review the attached schematic for errors.  Thank you for your help and any suggestions to solve my problem.

0 Likes
1 Solution
喜马拉雅之雪
Employee

For the drive, it is insulate IC.

_0-1671163289394.png

Connect it in loop:

_1-1671163494398.png

Power connect, it is like your SCH by 555+ ISO transformer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @slieberman 

Thank you for posting your question in the Infineon community.

In your circuit. the input and output side of the driver ground connection is not proper please connect the PWM ground to the Driver input side ground and similarly output side also.

Kindly connect your circuit as per the below connection.  you can simulate also 

https://design.infineon.com/tinaui/designer.php?path=EXAMPLESROOT%7CCOMMON%7CGuruPrasadReddyVaddeman...

I would like to understand some points from your circuit. could you provide the below information

the 12V ground and 15V ground both are same or different?

please provide the PWM input side and output side of driver ?

why 100 ohm gate resistor is used?

may know what is the part number for below circuit?

Guru_Prasad_0-1670996045755.png

Thank you

Guru

0 Likes

Thank you for your prompt response and consideration of my issue.  Your initial thoughts regarding improper grounding were correct.  Although the +15VDC and +12VDC grounds are tied together, I had failed to tie the high voltage ground to them.  After the three grounds were connected, the circuit worked flawlessly.

To answer your questions:

1.  The +15VDC and +12VDC are connected.  Those grounds are now joined with the output side, as you suggested.

2.  The PWM input side is defined on the schematic.  Now that the circuit is functioning properly, the output side of the driver follows the input side.

3.  Per AN2016-06, the gate resistor was determined by:

𝐼G_charging_peak = 𝑉𝐶𝐶2− 𝑉𝐸𝐸2/𝑅DSon + 𝑅Gon
𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝐼G_discharging_peak = 𝑉𝐶𝐶2 −𝑉𝐸𝐸2/𝑅DSoff +𝑅Goff

This charging/discharging current must be lower than the peak current allowed for the driver IC’s output stage to guarantee the safe operation.
𝐼G_charging_peak < 𝐼OH_PEAK

4.  OPTOCOUPLER DIP-4 PC817C PC817

0 Likes
喜马拉雅之雪
Employee

Thanks for your question.

For your SCH, the problem is from Pin Vb- Vs. As no power input to high side and VBS is lower than 10V, the IC output side can't work.

Infineon have a product, they are  focus on your application. There are "Solid state relay".

This is link with you:https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-PVI5033R-DataSheet-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a401535...

Reference SCH:

_0-1670999842348.png

Would you like check it and share your comments?

0 Likes

Thank you for your consideration.  Normally, VBS is biased by a connection to VCC through a diode which then supplies the initial voltage to VBS.  I have circumvented the need for this connection by connecting an isolated 15V DC power supply between VB and VS (see SCH).  By using this simple converter, I am able to provide long PWM input signals to the driver which are not supported by the bootstrap technique (unless the 555 timer circuit is implemented as in AN 978).

Your suggestion to use the PV15033RPbF is a good one.  The device is a bit pricey in relation to the combined IR2117 and 15VDC converter approach but may be a good option in some of my other challenges.

0 Likes
喜马拉雅之雪
Employee

Great! 

But, as you had use different ground for first and second side. 2117 can't holding -vs at Vs pin.

So, would you please change the it to 1EDI05I12AF.

This is datasheet link:https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-1EDIXXI12AF-DS-v02_00-EN.pdf?fileId=db3a3043427ac3e201428e648...

0 Likes

Please excuse my misunderstanding.  Can you provide a schematic of the 1EDI05I12AF in a high side driver application?

0 Likes
喜马拉雅之雪
Employee

For the drive, it is insulate IC.

_0-1671163289394.png

Connect it in loop:

_1-1671163494398.png

Power connect, it is like your SCH by 555+ ISO transformer.

0 Likes
slieberman
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Thank you for all your suggestions and support.

0 Likes