IR2110 motor controller circuit not able to start the motor.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
sanchit_2122
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I am trying to build a motor controller circuit using IR2110S  and IRF1407S and stm32 as microcontroller. I used a schematic that is widely available on the internet, and I don't think there is any issue with the circuit because I am using an external throttle to control the speed of the motor, now if I press the throttle then the motor does not spin at all no matter how much throttle I press but as soon as I rotate the motor very slightly, it starts spinning and goes on to work fine everafter. So I think there is an issue in the starting of the motor. I know that there is an undervoltage cutoff in ir2110 but I am not able to get a solution to this. Any changes in the code I must make are also appreciated. I asked this question on StackOverflow as well but a little more detailed answer would help please.
Reference to StackOverflow 

0 Likes
1 Solution
sanchit_2122
Level 1
Level 1

the problem is solved now. After trying all the above solutions I came to a realisation that nothing was working in my case. The issue was that I was applying single pwm on the low sides and high sides were being completely high in a particular state i.e. 100% duty cycle, but unfortunately IR2110 does not support 100% duty cycle. Initially when the motor is not in motion and I give the throttle, it does not go the next stage but the bootstrapping capacitor discharges now because the high side is always on so the low side of that phase never gets on in that state and the bootstrapping capacitor never gets charged hence high side never turns on and the motor stays stuck at that position. But when the motor is in motion the low side keeps on getting ON hence bootstrapping capacitor keeps getting charged hence no issues. To tackle this I used complementary PWM like suppose you have to turn on low side of phase A and high side of phase B, then I give PWM to low side of phase A and this same PWM to high side of phase B but complementary PWM to low side of phase B this way the bootstrapping capacitors keep on charging. Be careful to introduce deadtime in the complementary PWM and also use PWMs from same timer(if using stm) so that there is no phase difference between the channels. Thank you everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Akhil_B
250 sign-ins First question asked 50 solutions authored

Dear @sanchit_2122 

Good Day!!

Thanks for posting on the Infineon developer community.

We are looking in to your query, please wait for sometime and also kindly expect a delay in response due to the annual shutdown.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Akhil Kumar.

0 Likes
SivaBommadevara
50 replies posted 25 solutions authored 50 sign-ins

Dear @sanchit_2122 ,

Greetings from Infineon,

we have seen your post in the stack overflow for more information.

but we could not get it exactly. 

please share your driver schematic with power circuit as well, so that we will analyze properly and provide you the solution.

and also if you have gate drive wave forms at startup please share with us.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Siva Naga Malleswararao.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
sanchit_2122
Level 1
Level 1

I have attached the driver circuit and power circuit, see if you can understand the circuit. I would give any other information required. Regarding the confusion about the question the motor does not start.

0 Likes
SivaBommadevara
50 replies posted 25 solutions authored 50 sign-ins

Dear @sanchit_2122 ,

Greetings from Infineon.

I understand your problem. but to finalize that I need your operating switching frequency of the H-Bridge Inverter.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Siva Naga Malleswararao.

0 Likes
sanchit_2122
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a pwm of frequency 10kHz

0 Likes
sanchit_2122
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please, i am still stuck at the issue.

0 Likes
sanchit_2122
Level 1
Level 1

the problem is solved now. After trying all the above solutions I came to a realisation that nothing was working in my case. The issue was that I was applying single pwm on the low sides and high sides were being completely high in a particular state i.e. 100% duty cycle, but unfortunately IR2110 does not support 100% duty cycle. Initially when the motor is not in motion and I give the throttle, it does not go the next stage but the bootstrapping capacitor discharges now because the high side is always on so the low side of that phase never gets on in that state and the bootstrapping capacitor never gets charged hence high side never turns on and the motor stays stuck at that position. But when the motor is in motion the low side keeps on getting ON hence bootstrapping capacitor keeps getting charged hence no issues. To tackle this I used complementary PWM like suppose you have to turn on low side of phase A and high side of phase B, then I give PWM to low side of phase A and this same PWM to high side of phase B but complementary PWM to low side of phase B this way the bootstrapping capacitors keep on charging. Be careful to introduce deadtime in the complementary PWM and also use PWMs from same timer(if using stm) so that there is no phase difference between the channels. Thank you everyone for your help.

0 Likes