IR2110 bootstrap issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
jmelect
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Sir,

I'm trying to repair a power supply using  mofet SPP17N80C3. The issue is I can't find any information

on how the bootstrap voltage is configured. I believe there is a problem with D3.   Enclosed please find the attached  Jpeg file.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Miller

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting on the Infineon community. 

Bootstrap circuit:

Abhilash_P_0-1675667970138.png

Initially the low side gate signal should be turned ON to charge the bootstrap capacitor through the low side switch. Please refer the application note for all the calculations. 
During this condition the diode should be forward biased and placed in line with the low side and high side supply. 

In IR2110, the bootstrap diode should be placed between the pins VB(high side floating supply) and VCC(low side floating supply) if it is used in half bridge configuration. (Attached for reference) 

Abhilash_P_1-1675668253525.png

In your application I assume it is a buck converter. Hence please go through the following explanation and follow the connections (especially the diode) as shown in the below figure, 

Below figure shows a typical implementation of a buck converter with the high-side drive function. The diode connected on COM prevents the negative spikes from affecting the operation of the IC and provides an extra measure of noise immunity. COM should not be connected together. At start-up the bootstrap capacitor is discharged and, in most applications would charge through the inductor and the filter capacitor. The same is true under no-load conditions, when the freewheeling diode may not conduct at all. This alternative path works, as long as the filter capacitor is at least 10 times larger than the bootstrap capacitor. The Q of this resonant circuit should be low enough to insure that the bootstrap capacitor does not get charged beyond the
limits of VSS (20 V). If this is not so, a zener in parallel with the bootstrap capacitor would take care of possible overvoltage events. 

Abhilash_P_3-1675669897664.png

As mentioned please follow the application note for detailed calculation. Please do let me know if you need any further clarifications.

Regards,
Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting on the Infineon community. 

Bootstrap circuit:

Abhilash_P_0-1675667970138.png

Initially the low side gate signal should be turned ON to charge the bootstrap capacitor through the low side switch. Please refer the application note for all the calculations. 
During this condition the diode should be forward biased and placed in line with the low side and high side supply. 

In IR2110, the bootstrap diode should be placed between the pins VB(high side floating supply) and VCC(low side floating supply) if it is used in half bridge configuration. (Attached for reference) 

Abhilash_P_1-1675668253525.png

In your application I assume it is a buck converter. Hence please go through the following explanation and follow the connections (especially the diode) as shown in the below figure, 

Below figure shows a typical implementation of a buck converter with the high-side drive function. The diode connected on COM prevents the negative spikes from affecting the operation of the IC and provides an extra measure of noise immunity. COM should not be connected together. At start-up the bootstrap capacitor is discharged and, in most applications would charge through the inductor and the filter capacitor. The same is true under no-load conditions, when the freewheeling diode may not conduct at all. This alternative path works, as long as the filter capacitor is at least 10 times larger than the bootstrap capacitor. The Q of this resonant circuit should be low enough to insure that the bootstrap capacitor does not get charged beyond the
limits of VSS (20 V). If this is not so, a zener in parallel with the bootstrap capacitor would take care of possible overvoltage events. 

Abhilash_P_3-1675669897664.png

As mentioned please follow the application note for detailed calculation. Please do let me know if you need any further clarifications.

Regards,
Abhilash P

0 Likes