IGBT driver

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Vaibhav
Level 1
Level 1
5 likes given 5 sign-ins First like received

I have also design the IGBT driver using  2ED020I12-F2

Please confirm below points

1. While implementing external booster the collector of PNP transistor should be connected VEE but as per attached document it is connected to GND(refer Fig 1). Please clarify the same.
  2. As we are providing VEE supply, clamp pin not connected so is it ok?
0 Likes
1 Solution
Malleswararao
10 likes received 25 replies posted 10 solutions authored

hi @Vaibhav,

you can use Differential signal PWM as input to the driver from your microcontroller.

or you can use noninverted PWM to INHS+ & INLS+  by connecting INHS- & INLS- to respective grounds.

for more details please reference design in  attached link.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-EVAL_2ED020I12-F2-ApplicationNotes-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=db3a3...

Thanks,

Malleswararao

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Malleswararao

Hi @Vaibhav,

Thanks for posting the question in the Infineon community.

Q1. While implementing external booster the collector of PNP transistor should be connected VEE but as per attached document it is connected to GND(refer Fig 1). Please clarify the same.

Ans: Yes, VEE should be connected to the collector pin of the PNP transistor when a Bipolar supply is used.

Q2. As we are providing VEE supply, clamp pin not connected so is it ok?

Ans: yes, when a bipolar supply is used, we can ensure that IGBT will be in an OFF state with a strong negative voltage source. Hence, a Clamp pin is not necessary to connect.

Thanks,

Malleswararao

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Vaibhav
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Malleswararao

In 2ED020I12-F2, as per my understanding it protect the switch  to turn on with the same input signal (it prevents turn on the switch at a time in one leg ), is it correct? 

I am using it as per attachment (by connecting IN- to ground )but I want to know the function and implementation of differential input.

How to use differential input IN+ and IN-?

is their any circuitry required? how to implement this ?

0 Likes
Malleswararao

hi @Vaibhav,

you can use Differential signal PWM as input to the driver from your microcontroller.

or you can use noninverted PWM to INHS+ & INLS+  by connecting INHS- & INLS- to respective grounds.

for more details please reference design in  attached link.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-EVAL_2ED020I12-F2-ApplicationNotes-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=db3a3...

Thanks,

Malleswararao

Vaibhav
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Malleswararao

In 2ED020I12-F2, If we give same signal to high(INHS+) and low side(INLS+) of the input( due to noise or some else reason),  will the IC allow the signal to amplify ?

If yes then in that case, it might create the shoot through condition at the IGBT leg.

And how to avoid such condition?

0 Likes
Malleswararao

Hi @Vaibhav 

First of all, we should not provide the same or common PWM to both high(INHS+) and low sides (INLS+), it leads to a short circuit in the IGBT Leg. 

we should provide a 180deg phase-shifted signal with suitable deadtime between both the signals.

To understand more about providing PWM signals to INH & INL. Please refer to datasheet points 3.2 & 4.4

The second point, to suppress the noise in the PWM signal there is a noise filter is available in the driver for both high(INHS+, INHS-) and low side(INLS+, INLS-) for the values you can check in the datasheet point 5.4.2

Thanks,

Malleswararao