I have problems with the gate driver for IRF40R207

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wph1995
Level 4
Level 4
100 sign-ins First like received 25 replies posted

I am designing a peltier controller, I will use a MOSFET h-bridge for this.
I have been reviewing many data sheets and I have a doubt, I don't know which of these gate drivers to use.
These are the options I would like to use:

a.- 2ED2103S06F
b.- WCDSC006.

I will place 4 N-MOSFET, IRF40R207, on the h-bridge.

I will use a microcontroller from the XMC1400 family that works with 5V for the PWM and the PWM will have a frequency of 5KHz, and calculate that I need a gate resistance of approximately 80 Ohms. I want to use a 12V power supply with the 2ED2103S06F, but I'm not sure if it will turn on the MOSFET fast enough running at 5KHz (it's a relatively low frequency but it's the first time I've worked with infineon's drivers) or maybe it would be better use a WCDSC006 and use a 5V supply, but according to the graph of the IRF40R207 it can handle approximately 12A with a VG of 5V, but the pelier cell that I will use consumes 8.2A and I do not think it is good that the mosfet controls a very close maximum current to the load current.
thanks for your help

0 Likes
1 Solution
vigneshkumar
25 likes received 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hi

Thanks for Posted on Infineon Community,

WCDSC006 will not be the Right choice for IRF40R207. Rds(on) will be twice at 5V Vgs while compare with 12V.

2ED2103S06F – This can be used For the selected Rg. It can support the Max drive current.

Rg(80ohms) value is higher , That will increase Eon and Eoff losses.

In the case of Changing Rg will demand driver change.

Please contact us for further driver selection.

Regards,

Vignesh kumar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
vigneshkumar
25 likes received 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hi

Thanks for Posted on Infineon Community,

WCDSC006 will not be the Right choice for IRF40R207. Rds(on) will be twice at 5V Vgs while compare with 12V.

2ED2103S06F – This can be used For the selected Rg. It can support the Max drive current.

Rg(80ohms) value is higher , That will increase Eon and Eoff losses.

In the case of Changing Rg will demand driver change.

Please contact us for further driver selection.

Regards,

Vignesh kumar.

0 Likes