Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

Gate Driver ICs Forum Discussions

asrikrishnagovi
Level 3
5 questions asked First like given 25 sign-ins
Level 3

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-2EDF7175F-DataSheet-v02_07-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d462636cc8fb0163...

Consider the above datasheet of a Gate Driver.  A lot of gate driver selection criteria online recommend discharging the internal capacitances of the IGBT or MOSFET to a negative voltage (-5 or -8 or -15v) to avoid spurious turn-on

My questions are:

1. How do I look for the Gate Drivers which allow me to swing the voltage across the Gate-Emitter the device in the Infineon product filtering options (What to look in the datasheets specifically), as well as when I have the device physically or in Spice simulations, how does one go about choosing the allowed voltage swing?

2. Would I be able to use a MOSFET Gate Driver for an IGBT? Thanks and Regards 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guru_Prasad
Moderator 100 replies posted First question asked 10 likes received

Hello @asrikrishnagovi 

Thanks for writing to the Infineon community.  

The following answers will help for your questions.

1. The Gate to emitter voltage swings parameter in Gate driver page will not appear because it is mainly design dependent parameter , It  mainly varies with respect to  on switching frequency, gate resistance and gate capacitance . However, to avoid this issue we should design active miller clamp feature in your gate driver designs it will help for spurious turn ON issue and VEE also you can see in the datasheet for maximum gate to emitter allowed voltage .

2.Yes the MOSFET drivers can be used for IGBT. however the gate driver IC current capability, operating

frequency, Voltage capability, Isolation voltage need be selected as per IGBT Driver requirement.

Please let me know if you need any help

Thanks

Guru

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Guru_Prasad
Moderator 100 replies posted First question asked 10 likes received

Hello @asrikrishnagovi 

Thanks for writing to the Infineon community.  

The following answers will help for your questions.

1. The Gate to emitter voltage swings parameter in Gate driver page will not appear because it is mainly design dependent parameter , It  mainly varies with respect to  on switching frequency, gate resistance and gate capacitance . However, to avoid this issue we should design active miller clamp feature in your gate driver designs it will help for spurious turn ON issue and VEE also you can see in the datasheet for maximum gate to emitter allowed voltage .

2.Yes the MOSFET drivers can be used for IGBT. however the gate driver IC current capability, operating

frequency, Voltage capability, Isolation voltage need be selected as per IGBT Driver requirement.

Please let me know if you need any help

Thanks

Guru

0 Likes