Gate Driver IC for H6.5 circuit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Please tell us one point about Gate Driver.
Is it possible to use a CT type 2ch output Gate Driver for the midpoint part of the H6.5 circuit used in the PCS?
If there are independent GND terminals on the H side and L side, I think there will be no problem with the operation itself, but does Infineon recommend using it in a 2ch product?
Or do you recommend using 1ch products?

■ 2ch product model number
・Model number: 2ED020I06-FI
・Model number: 2ED020I12-F2

Best regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
1211Shukla
100 replies posted 10 likes received 25 solutions authored

Hi,

As you are referring to midpoint circuit in the link shared by you. Both the the switches are not referenced to GND so level shift gate drivers are not recommended. If you are going to use 2-channel Half bridge driver with isolated supply,  2ED020I12-F2 and 2ED020I12FA can be used. I have also attached the list of single channel drivers as per your requirement.

Regards,

Rishabh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
1211Shukla

Dear @YuTa_4942221 

Can you elaborate, which circuit you are talking about i.e.  H6.5 circuit used in the PCS

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5

Thank you for contacting me.

I'm afraid it's a Vincotech material, but the circuit looks like the URL below.
Among them, regarding the drive of the element with the midpoint potential, if there is a recommended gate driver, please comment.

[URL]
https://www.vincotech.com/products/by-topology/more-about-h65.html

Regards,

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5

To whom it may concern
How is the progress on this matter?
Would it be possible for you to tell me when you expect to receive an answer?
We apologize for the inconvenience, but thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

With dual channel gate driver IC, the HS channel needs a power supply voltage referenced to the floating ground (phase node of the HB). This power supply can be implemented using a bootstrap circuit (DB, RB, CB) that requires only a few cheap additional passive components. Alternatively, an isolated DC-DC power supply can also be used, which despite being more expensive is  a more integrated solution

1211Shukla_0-1677091917614.png

Since products based on CT technology do not introduce significant parasitic inductance in the gate loop, the
noise induced during a switching event is almost negligible.

Two single-channel isolated gate driver ICs could be an alternate solution with one dedicated gate
driver for the HS switch and another driver IC for the LS switch. PCB layout flexibility is increased by making it
easier for the designer to place the driver IC closer to the power switch. Additionally, with a dedicated driver for
each switch, routing the traces for gate of the power switches can also be simplified when compared with a dual-channel gate-driver IC

1211Shukla_2-1677092541265.png

If you can give me the exact specification and requirement, i will be able to recommend you the part no.

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, Rishabh-san

I understand that the CT Gate Driver (1ch) and HB Gate Driver (2ch) have their respective merits, and that both are recommended for driving the midpoint of H6.5.
Therefore, we would like to offer both CT Gate Driver (1ch) and HB Gate Driver (2ch) so that customers can choose from among the available options.

Thank you for confirming the recommended devices.
Specifications are below.

■Required specifications
・Withstand voltage: 600V or more
・Number of channels: 1ch or 2ch
・Insulation: Both CT and SOI are possible
・Output current: Assuming a range of 2A to 4A
・Protection function: There is no problem even if there is no protection function

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we would appreciate it if you could contact us by March 1st.

Regards,

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
1211Shukla

Hi,

As you are referring to midpoint circuit in the link shared by you. Both the the switches are not referenced to GND so level shift gate drivers are not recommended. If you are going to use 2-channel Half bridge driver with isolated supply,  2ED020I12-F2 and 2ED020I12FA can be used. I have also attached the list of single channel drivers as per your requirement.

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, Rishabh-san

I was wrong. I understood that there is no problem if it is a Galvanic Isolation 2ch product, such as 2ED020I12-F2 and 2ED020I12FA instead of SOI.
I think that 2ED020I06-FI can be proposed for CT insulation, so I would like to propose.
Also, thank you for confirming the recommended items.
I would like to propose this too the customer.

Regards,

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

Do you need further support or I should mark this this ticket as resolved?

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, Rishabh-san

I would like it to be resolved.
Thank you for your support.

Regards,