EiceDRIVER 1ED34x1Mc12M never becomes ready

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Johannes1
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello,

I am using an EiceDRIVER 1ED34x1Mc12M for controlling an IGBT but the driver's Ready Signal is always 0.

After applying voltage to the driver FAULT_N switches to 1 (which means no error) but RDYC is alway 0 (which means driver is not ready).

Here is the schematic of my application.

Johannes1_3-1675082581079.png

READY and the FAULT Pins of the driver are connected to inputs of my microcontroller. EPWM3a_EN and EPWM3b_EN are connected to the PWM outputs of my controller and configured as outputs.

For testing purpose I only applied 32V to V_HIGH+. As IGBTs I am currently using the RGT50TM65D  from ROHM which is a normal IGBT without Kelvin Source.

I have tried different resistors for ADJA and ADJB but RYDC never changes to 1.

Is there something wrong with my schematic? Do you have any tips for me how I can debug this?

Best regards,

Johannes

0 Likes
1 Solution
1211Shukla
100 replies posted 10 likes received 25 solutions authored

Hi,

The schematic looks fine, just ensure supply voltage VCC1 towards primary side is above minimum specified value of 3V, otherwise UVLO can be triggered, which makes RDYC low. Other reason could be,  with RDYC fault off input feature, Pulling RDYC to low from uC  disables the operation of the gate driver IC. Please check it once. If somehow you are unable to rectify the problem from uC side then just disconnect RDYC pin from uC and check the status.

RDYC pin will be pulled low from the gate driver side only in case of UVLO at VCC1 (3V), UVLO at VCC2 (12.6V) or Voltage at ON pin is > VEE2+2 V during IGBT off state. RDYC should also be connected to a HIGH trough a pull up resistor

Regards,

Rishabh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
1211Shukla

Hi,

The schematic looks fine, just ensure supply voltage VCC1 towards primary side is above minimum specified value of 3V, otherwise UVLO can be triggered, which makes RDYC low. Other reason could be,  with RDYC fault off input feature, Pulling RDYC to low from uC  disables the operation of the gate driver IC. Please check it once. If somehow you are unable to rectify the problem from uC side then just disconnect RDYC pin from uC and check the status.

RDYC pin will be pulled low from the gate driver side only in case of UVLO at VCC1 (3V), UVLO at VCC2 (12.6V) or Voltage at ON pin is > VEE2+2 V during IGBT off state. RDYC should also be connected to a HIGH trough a pull up resistor

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes

Hi Rishabh,

thanks for your feedback.

I have double checked the voltage and they look correct. VCC1 is a little above 3,3V.

I don't drive the FAULT pin. It is connected to the Pull Up resistor and I get 3,3V here.

Even with no uC connected, I get 0V on RDYC.

Can it be a problem that I only apply 35V over the half bridge? Does the desaturation need higher voltages? I also tried applying 100V but it also didn't work.

Is there any other way to debug the driver?

Best regards,

Johannes

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

Any update on the issue?

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes

Hi Rishabh,

I have a final question:

Here is the temperature profil of my reflow ofen:

Johannes1_0-1676480430396.png

Does the IC withstand the 280 degrees of the ofen? Or is it possible, the temperature was to high and the IC is now defective?

Best,

Johannes

0 Likes
Johannes1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I double checked:

VCC1 is 3,3V, so this should not be the case.

VCC2 is 15V and good above UVLO.

At ON I can measure -8V (VEE2), which is also ok.

RDYC is connected to a 2.2k Pull Up resistor.

In the datasheet I could find the following:

"no VEE2 over GND2 failure"

What does this mean? Can this be an error?

Best,

Johannes

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

The IC is not made to handle such high temperature however during an overtemperature event, the overtemperature protection should trigger the FLT pin to low and initiate fault turn-off

1211Shukla_0-1676547315894.png

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
Johannes1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

no, this was not the operation temperature but the temperature during the soldering process of the chip to the PCB.

Is this a valid temperature for the soldering process or is it too high?

Best,

Johannes

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

I don't think 260 deg C soldering temperature can cause any problem.

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

May I know current status of the issue?

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes

Hi,

I think, i knwo the issue know:

I found a short between the RDYC Pin and GND over a very small strip of solder. Unfortunately I discovered it, after unsoldering the last driver. So, I will close the issue for now, but I don't have any parts left to do the test.

Thanks for your support.

Best,

johannes

0 Likes