Best Evaluation Board for an BLDC 120V/200A ESC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
seb_44120
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins First like given 5 questions asked

Hello,

I would like to developp a BLDC ESC for my application (20kW Motor / 120V 200A), and I'm not sure what evaluation board would fit to my needs.

I would like to use sensorless FOC method to spin the motor.

Does someone could advice me the best combo ? (Control Board + Power Board)

After evaluation, I plan to do the schematics of my own pcb.

Regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @seb_44120 

The 20kW Power board side we have two combinations 

1)The two MOSFETs(IRF250P224) can be paralleled as a single switch for the power side 

2)) The two MOSFETS (IRF200P222) can be paralleled as as single switch for power side if inrush current is more.

The control board side IMD111T-6F040 will drive those MOSFETs or not please check from your side. The drive

current depends on Rgon and supply voltage and switching frequency if it is not matching need use additional driver ICs.

Thanks

Guru

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Guru_Prasad

Hello @seb_44120 

Thanks for posting the question in the Infineon community.

Infineon doesn't have the evaluation board for 20kW Motor / 120V 200A.

Please let know your application(Industrial or automotive)?Based on your application we will suggest the Low

power rating evaluation kit for reference design, With that you can do modification for your power rating.

Thanks

Guru  

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN
50 likes received 5 likes given 250 sign-ins

Hi,

Since, you want to do your own  board design, I would like to suggest you one 22 KW motor control evaluation board. You can use it for  your initial reference and as Guru told we can help you to  modify the design and even motor control (FOC or vector control).

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-UG2020_28_REF-22K-GPD-INV-Easy3b-UserManual-v01_00-EN.pdf?fil...

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes
seb_44120
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins First like given 5 questions asked

Thank you @Guru_Prasad  and @AZIZ_HASSAN  for your response !

I forgot to specify that my need was for a DC power supply (My use case is driving a drone type motor).

First, I would like to test an evaluation board with a smaller motor (200W for example).
If it works the way I want, I'll make my own PCB (with the MOSFETS and the adapted dissipation).

Does this combo sound right to you :
EVAL-M7-D111T + EVAL-M7-LVMOS-INV => The component evaluated will be IMD111T-6F040.

Will the IMD111T-6F040 suit my needs?

I just installed the MCEWizard software, but I do not find the EVAL-M7-D111T Configuration file. Do you know if a configuration file corresponding to this hardware exist ?

Thank you in advance !

Guru_Prasad

Hello @seb_44120 

Thanks for confirming the application and requirement.

EVAL-M7-D111T can be used for BLDC motor control evaluation and the power source will be fulfilled by using

the EVAL-M7-LVMOS-INV for 100W.

The configuration file can be downloaded from this page by using your order code.

The 20kw power rating the EVAL-M7-LVMOS-INV can modified in power section especially MOSFET and cooling side. please let me know if need any help on MOSFET selection.

Thanks

Guru

0 Likes

Hello @Guru_Prasad ,

I will receive the combo tomorrow :  hope I can get the motor to spin "quickly" 😊

When i will succed to spin my "little" motor, how could I try easily adequats MOSFETS ? Do I need to make my own PCB with M7 connector ? Or could I strap the gate signal from the card to my MOSFETS?

If you could help for MOSFET selection, it's with pleasure !

Il will drive MOSFET about approximately 20kHz (which I think is an important paramter to choose MOSFET).

tell me If you have MOSFET reference in mind !

Thank you,

Sebastien

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @seb_44120 

The EVAL-M7-LVMOS-INV is enough to drive the small motor. EVAL-M7-LVMOS-INV will have MOSFET and Power supply section those will enough to drive your BLDC from power supply side.

Do you need any support for 20kW please let me know I will suggest the MOSFET .

thanks

Guru

0 Likes

Hello @Guru_Prasad,

Could you tell me what the best MOSFETs will fit to my needs ? (I have a lot of space to put cooling system, so BIG MOSFET are not a problem 😉)

Thank you in advance !

Sébastien

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @seb_44120 

IMD111T-6F040 cannot drive the high-power MOSFET so we are doing a feasibility study. we will get back to you with a solution.

Thanks 

Guru

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @seb_44120 

The 20kW Power board side we have two combinations 

1)The two MOSFETs(IRF250P224) can be paralleled as a single switch for the power side 

2)) The two MOSFETS (IRF200P222) can be paralleled as as single switch for power side if inrush current is more.

The control board side IMD111T-6F040 will drive those MOSFETs or not please check from your side. The drive

current depends on Rgon and supply voltage and switching frequency if it is not matching need use additional driver ICs.

Thanks

Guru

0 Likes

Thank you @Guru_Prasad  !

I will check datasheet of these two different MOSFETs.

In my example, could you tell me if the IRF200P222 could be drivent by the IMD111T-6F040 ? Which parameters of datasheet do I need to check (assuming motor voltage is 120V and 30kHz frequency) ?

For information, I tried to spin a brushless motor (RC model), but I can't do it (I will post parameters I have done to understand what's wrong).

0 Likes

Hello @seb_44120 

Please check the drive peak current in IMD111T-6F040 for your Rgon.

Thanks

Guru 

0 Likes