Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
nehaagarwal1996
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I am trying to connect the infineon gate driver for high voltage GaN MOSFET and I have designed the attached Altium circuit. Can you tell me what is incorrect here and what can be done.

Thanks is advance.

Neha Agarwal

0 Likes
1 Solution
Meghana
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello @nehaagarwal1996 ,

The circuit connections are ok. From the performance point of view, below are few improvements which we would like to recommend.

1. The decoupling capacitor on the primary side supply line can be increased. (22nF/33nF) You may also use two separate capacitors for the both drivers, and place them close to the VDDI pin. 

2. Primary ground & Secondary ground should be decoupled. Even if you do not wish to have isolation between primary and secondary, it is still advised to have two separate gnd nets for Primary & secondary, and they can be connected via a star point.

Regards

Meghana

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Meghana
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello @nehaagarwal1996 ,

The circuit connections are ok. From the performance point of view, below are few improvements which we would like to recommend.

1. The decoupling capacitor on the primary side supply line can be increased. (22nF/33nF) You may also use two separate capacitors for the both drivers, and place them close to the VDDI pin. 

2. Primary ground & Secondary ground should be decoupled. Even if you do not wish to have isolation between primary and secondary, it is still advised to have two separate gnd nets for Primary & secondary, and they can be connected via a star point.

Regards

Meghana

0 Likes

Hi @Meghana 

Thank you for your response. I have made some changes as per your suggestion. Does this look fine.

nehaagarwal1996_0-1693987715505.png

Regards,

Neha

0 Likes

Hello @nehaagarwal1996 , 

The GND nets are different now and that is ok. But can you please share the snippet of how these two GND nets are connected to each other?

Regards

Meghana

0 Likes

nehaagarwal1996_0-1694505401134.png

This is how I have attached the AGND and DGND.

Regards,

Neha

0 Likes

Hello Neha, 

Apologies for the delay in my response. 

Can you please let me know why you are using a jumper between these two ground nets? 

To my understanding, in this design you do not have an isolation between primary and secondary. Am I right? 

If thats the case, it is also ok have a permanent connection between these grounds through star point instead of a jumper.  

Regards

Meghana

0 Likes